Xantia Price Negotiation/Clutch/Exhaust

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave40
My Cars:

Xantia Price Negotiation/Clutch/Exhaust

Post by Dave40 »

I have a colleague who is considering parting with his 95M Xantia LX TD and while I fancy a VSX this looks like a good car. 123K with full service record. 12 months test 1 tax. Bodily good with a few surface blemishes. Good engine & suspension. Recent brakes. Overall a well kept car without being fanatical.
The subject of value is going to arise and I am aware of Parkers' prices as well as Ebay bargains but would appreciate 'cold' views of what 'you who know' [;)] would offer. This way I can decide if I should hold out for that VSX.
Cheers
Dave [8D]
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

£600?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

£600 sounds a not unreasonable price for that Xantia TD with 12 months ticket, if it's in reasonable condition. Beware the clutch though! If it's not been replaced, then the value is nearer £300, as the clutch job does not come cheap.
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

Sounds reasonable, its about what I paid for mine, many (tens of) thousands of miles ago. Mine had more than 125K though, but it did have the clutch sorted ( including a new clip! ), newish tyres, new water pump, recent cambelt and a truckload of service/repair bills and receipts.
Not that it's stayed out of trouble, though - my handle on this board gives a bit of a clue as to what it's notorious for!
Seriously, though - there's a site which gives some information on how to price an older car, it might be worth a look. The address is:
http://bangernomics.tripod.com/index.html
Stu.
Nikolaymk

Post by Nikolaymk »

One year ago I paid £800 for mine - it had done only 48K with one doctor owner. + Faulty sunroof (I paid £3.10 for a set of fuses and that sorted it)
Dave40
My Cars:

Post by Dave40 »

Thanks for the posts guys.
Can I assume from the various advice that a clutch change will cost about £300?
One further detail missing from my original post concerns exhaust smoke. When the engine is briefly revved up black smoke is blown out (not under load) is this normal?
jozivic
My Cars:

Post by jozivic »

I just came from spare parts shop, the clutch which I have to change on Xantia 2.0 VSX will cost 150€ (Sachs), the work about 150€. (Prices are in Euro)
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave40</i>

Thanks for the posts guys.
One further detail missing from my original post concerns exhaust smoke. When the engine is briefly revved up black smoke is blown out (not under load) is this normal?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
If you're on about at standstill, I think most will do this; nothing really to worry about. If it does under full load on the road, then there's a number of things; most are free/cheap to fix
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
If you're on about at standstill, I think most will do this; nothing really to worry about. If it does under full load on the road, then there's a number of things; most are free/cheap to fix
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Good negotiation point though.
If the clutch is dodgy and it's smoking, I'd start by offering him £100.....