ZX 1.9D repower to TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

radar
My Cars:

ZX 1.9D repower to TD

Post by radar »

I am wondering if anyone has any info/ experience of such a conversion. I have a 1994 estate and I need more speed quicker than normal, I think the engines tired after 175,000 hard lugging miles and I dont want to get into debt by buying a new model, as theres plently of life in her and its just had new brakes and tyres. Its probably due a clutch shortly with an exhaust so maybe thens the time to re-power as I feel that the exhaust and gearbox may have to be changed. As I haven't got p/steering is this going to be a problem?. Salvage yards are quoting approx £400 to supply a complete turbo engine and gearbox with driveshafts from a low mileage write off with g/tee. Is it as simple as a straight swap / including wiring etc, things such as radiatior and drive shaft hubs are too renew ?
Any one with experience ?? or should I just buy a standard n/a engine from a more recent write off ???? just to save all hassle , current fuel ecomony is 540 miles out of the puny 35 litre tank and I dont think thats bad whats the turbo like on fuel consumption
thanks in advance for replies
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If you were to drop in a turbo diesel engine, you would also need to upgrade the cooling system. Most turbos have a greater water capacity and also an additional fan. You'd also need to change the exhaust system. If you fitted an XUD turbo, you could expect to get around 42mpg.
iancook2000
My Cars:

Post by iancook2000 »

If you do a search of the Andyspares on-line shop you'll see what key parts a different for the 1.9D and 1.9TD models. The radiator and driveshafts are listed under different part numbers. Andyspares may be able to tell you what the difference is.
Also, I'm not sure if the TD has ventilated front disks and the 1.9D solid.
Personally, I'd change the car, as I can't see it's worth all that hassle - and there will be hidden expense. You ought to be able to find a decent TD with power steering, and that is a whole lot better car - in my opinion.
Ian Cook
Jon

Post by Jon »

Well, its possible, but is it worth it? I should think a ZX TD without power steering would be pretty awful.
Anyway, heres what fits, and what does not:
You will need from the 1.9td:
Driveshafts
Radiator and all water hoses
Intercooler
Complete Exhaust system
Clutch cable
Lower speedo cable
Front shock absorbers (TD uses different ones)
The electrics are the same, the fuel line is the same, and the TD engine and box go straight in using the same mountings.
No need to worry about the brakes. As the ZX 1.9d is an estate, all estates come with vented front discs anyway, also the rear brakes are larger than ZX hatch so should be more than up to the job.
If it was me I think I'd go an buy a ZX TD estate with power sterring!!!!
Good luck.
Jon Wood
IT Supervisor
GSF t/as Andyspares
iancook2000
My Cars:

Post by iancook2000 »

Jon Wood wrote:
"No need to worry about the brakes. As the ZX 1.9d is an estate, all estates come with vented front discs anyway, also the rear brakes are larger than ZX hatch so should be more than up to the job."
Thanks for clearing up the brake question, Jon. My ZXD was a hatch and the ZXTD was an estate, so that's why I thought there might have been a difference.
Ian Cook
Jon

Post by Jon »

Yes, all ZX Estates definately have vented front discs.(even the 1.4)
For the Estate rear brakes, Citroen grovelled in the parts bin and came up with Peugeot 405 saloon shoes and drums.
As you can see, I'm a mine of useless information!!
Jon Wood
IT Supervisor
GSF t/as Andyspares