Best radiator filling header tank design?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Best radiator filling header tank design?

Post by Simon Canfer »

So what do you all use as a radiator header tank? I never got the Haynes method to work (O-ring around a water bottle) and I want a greater head than that anyway. I'm after a system I can connect easily every service and so bleed the system regularly.
My current effort is as follows:
Pressure cap modified by bending the sealing plate to allow water to flow past it;
Fill via the overflow pipe, through a 10mm pipe with half an old 5l plastic container as a tank, connected via a hose connector in its lid.
I hang the water bottle from the bonnet catch.
The above works OK but air isn't too keen to travel up the (narrow) pipe.
The ideal would probably be another pressure cap, mocified to have a large bore fitting in the centre of it.
Simon Canfer
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Assuming it is a BX, I made up a 5 litre container with the bottom cut out and some string to hang it from the bonnet catch, connected to the gaiter from a motorbike fork, as the hose from the header tank to the radiator opening where it is stretched over the opening and the bleed hole. Works fine.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I have never actualy needed to rig a header tank; I just take the rad cap off and start filling with the trusty old watering can and funnel method. When I can't get any more in, I undo the bleed taps and then continue until full, run the motor for a few mins to clear any more air and then do a final top up, and re-check after a normal drive. Its worked on every car I have ever had except for a FIRE engined Uno, which was air-lock city and actually had to have its heater hoses physically disconnected while running to bleed properly......a very messy job.(as was filling it with oil as any one who has done it will know..........)
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

I'd like to think that a header tank isn't required; but then you'd be relying on the water pump to provide the extra head to fill the cylinder head. (As the rad. header tank on the AX and ZX's I've owned have been below the cylinder head!)
Simon Canfer
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Plumbers' PFTE tape is another effective way of creating a tight seal with the expansion tank if using a large bottle or container as a header tank.
But the best I can do with my Xsara (where the expansion tank is low down) is get a willing assistant to hold the header tank down as I pour the coolant in. Otherwise the coolant ends up on the floor.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

For ten years now I've used a large heavy duty plastic funnel made for filling tractors from cans etc.
It has a slow taper at the bottom and the material is more "grippy" than modern cheap funnels made from washing up bowl type plastic.
This means that at some point on the taper it will fit in the neck of just about any radiator or header tank. Its capacity is several litres and about an extra 300mm height. As long as you push it firmly into the rad/tank it doesn't fall over.
Can't stress the importance of using a header tank enough to 100% prevent disasters.... with the TD Citroens in particular.
David
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

I used a large robinsons diluting orange bottle,5 litre I think , cut the bottom off then cut just below the threads for the top ,pull off the remains of the cap security ring and it is a very tight seal in the expansion tank .if you cut too far below the threads the bottle will kink and not seal.