Citroen Saxo Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ruislip1

Citroen Saxo Problem

Post by ruislip1 »

Can anyone help please? I have had an ongoing problem with my saxo for 3 years, Citroen don't seem to be able to help. First problem was that car cut out whilst driving at 70mph on motorway, just lost power, took it to Citroen they downloaded new software and car didn't cut out again but still tries to cut out. Car has been back to Citroen 5 times, still can't find the problem. Now although car doesn't cut out often (maybe once a month) the engine autodiagnostic lamp flashes and car jolts, this happens every time I drive. Seems to happen more when car is cold but also happens when car is very warm. Has made me very nervous about driving car. Citroen say cannot help unless they see the light come on. Is there anyone out there who has had a similar problem and was it solved. Don't know what to do?
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

What year is it? If you look on the chassis number there will be 3 letters together. E.g KFV or similar. Not the VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] bit or the last 8 numbers. Its the bit in between. This will tell what engine type and injection system is fitted and i will try and see if there are any common faults that have been overlooked regarding engine/injection type.
ruislip1

Post by ruislip1 »

It is a 1998 Saxo 1.4 Exclusive 1360cc petrol, will check number, typical girl, don't know what I am doing!!! I have got the engine number is that what you are looking for?
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

If you can get the first bit of the chassis number and leave out the last 8 numbers that will do just fine! How many miles has it done?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

its probably a KFX with MM 1AP inj system.im thinking it could be a bad connection at the MAP sensor or even a dodgy coil pack.has anything on the car been replaced to try & find the problem ?
ruislip1

Post by ruislip1 »

where do I find the chassis number??
Car has done 30,000 miles and nothing has been replaced.
The only thing Citroen did at the beginning was download new software which initially stopped the problem, i.e. didn't cut out whilst moving, but hasn't rectified completely. Will still occasionally cut out but on nearly every drive light will flash and will jolt, it's as if it is going to cut out but catches itself. My real concern is that the engine autodiagnostic light flashes and the handbook that came with the car says that if this happens you should take it to a Citroen dealer immediately, of course when I take it to them they cannot help as they say problem intermittant. They need to see light come on, telling them doesn't help! Can't believe the bad service I get from Citroen, especially as I considered the car to be dangerous when it cut out at 70mph originally. Thank you for all your replies so far.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the chassis plate is in the boot at the part behind the bumper its a 17 digit code that starts VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]..... you could also find it on your MOT certificate of the V5/logbook for the car.
if the engine management light is coming on it 'should' register a fault code.
any other info could help eg. only happens when warm,only in wet weather.
i'd still maybe take a look at that MAP sensor connector,see if you can repeat the problem by wiggling the connector.i'll try & find a pic of its location to help you.
ruislip1

Post by ruislip1 »

yes number is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]...
i thought that if the light flashes a fault would be registered but when i took it to citroen they couldn't find anything.
i have tried to work out to see if there is a pattern, i.e. in the wet or cold etc but seems to happen at any time, obviously if the light is flashing and the car is jolting and losing revs there is a problem - cannot believe citroen cannot find it considering they built the car - is it common that faults cannot be found?
am grateful for all help so far
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

here is a picture of the MAP sensor circled in yellow,with the engine running give the grey connector a good wiggle & to see if you can get the fault to reapeat itself.