Heater Gremlins - Public Thanks

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

flugle
My Cars:

Heater Gremlins - Public Thanks

Post by flugle »

Just a quickie to say thanks for every one who helped with the heater gremlins, but a big shout to davey, patience and bravery in the face of complete f@ckwittery deserves congrats!
As a newby in here i've been so impressed with the comarardarie and willingness to help incompitents like my self.
With daveys totally understandable, clear and concise help i've saved over £90 and only have a few soldering burns and a full swear box to show for it!!.
cheers davey and you all
Ps i've revoked my pledge to burn the blingo
davey
My Cars:

Post by davey »

flugle,
dont put that gallon of petrol and match away just yet!
that was just one of a number of wierd elec problems i've had with the bingeo ( - 3 yr old calls it that, i tend to use more 'colourfull' 4 letter names....)
..... just wait until you get the ecu corrosion problem ... catch that in time and it will save you £650!!
dave.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

davey.
Whats the trick then with the ecu? I don't fancy spending £650.........
davey
My Cars:

Post by davey »

Dave,
when a bought the berlingo (1.9despair not hdi) the revs were surging but only very occasionally and the ecu light came on once if i remember. the car was 2 yr old at the time.
after spending a while looking i discovered that one of the 2 ecu (so called waterproof!) connectors did in fact have a little water inside. this had given rise to severe corrosion on 2 adjacent pins which must have been carrying pwr as there was a nice greeny/blue verdigris track between them. the base of the pins were badly eaten into (very close to breaking off and easily wobbled at the slightest touch - this is where i began crapping myself at the thought of forking out £550 for ecu + £100 for reprogramming) but luckily managed to tin them nicely with solder.
not only that when i had the ecu out there is a metalised parts label on the aluminium back which covers an access port. after taking this label off i found bad corrosion on the associated pin ends that were soldered to the main pcb. after resoldering all these, replacing the label and using lots of waxoyl in the connectors its running fine now. however, if i had left it many more weeks it is highly likely the pins would have broken off completely inside the connector.
the label is the only part of the ecu that comes apart. i believe the pcb is bonded to the aluminium back during manufacture so trying to take the back off results in destruction of the unit.
there are lots of static sensitive devices on this board so an earth strap is essential.
i always used to put 'never seez' on all earths in engine bays and waxoyl in all accessable connectors when i bought a car but got lazy with this one ... though not after i found that little beauty.
i hate cit electrics!
planning on getting the new model later this year probably the hdi - is it any good?
the new canbus/multiplex thing opens up a whole new can of worms though....
dave
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Sorry for the delay in reply Dave, you know how it is! Thanks for the info, I'll take a look at my ECU, just in case. Yes, I rate my HDi, It's light years ahead of the 19D, if only for the fact of putting your foot down and it increasing rapidly in speed! No more frustating woodpecker impressions and gritted teeth on overtaking moves etc. Even our illustious head man Mr Wood seems to be taken with his Mk2 HDi.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Bamber</i>

Sorry for the delay in reply Dave, you know how it is! Thanks for the info, I'll take a look at my ECU, just in case. Yes, I rate my HDi, It's light years ahead of the 19D, if only for the fact of putting your foot down and it increasing rapidly in speed! No more frustating woodpecker impressions and gritted teeth on overtaking moves etc. Even our illustious head man Mr Wood seems to be taken with his Mk2 HDi.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I thought that was the "<i><b>wood</b></i>pecker" you were referring to!![:D][:D][:D]
Alan S [:o)][:I]
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

<i><i></i>Da Daaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!![:D][:D][:D]</i>
davey
My Cars:

Post by davey »

cheers for that dave, do you ever get problems with the electrics? the new multiplex stuff?
(i would almost be happy getting a mk1 berlingo hdi - at least it can be worked on)
does anyone know of the new berlingo diag port can be accessed with a generic laptop, appropriate com port settings and the likes of hyperterm or is citroen special to type stuff?
its also worrying reading a recent thread about plastic idler wheels on hdi aux belts etc.
ah mr paranoid taking the pith ... one good thing about babies, they crap themselves, you clean them up and they still work...
my berlingo: it craps on you, you clean up the mess and it craps on you from another direction (just found out the drive shaft been losing lots of gearbox oil)
wife caught me trying to torch it again - but she told me off for setting a bad example in front of the kids!)
dave