Citroen ZX grinding/whirring noise from engine

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jayzee33

Citroen ZX grinding/whirring noise from engine

Post by Jayzee33 »

My 1994 Citroen ZX 1.4i has developed a grinding/whirring noise which comes from somewhere in the engine, although I can't pin point its exact location - other than it may be on the passenger side.
It does not always make this sound and it has been just under a year since it last did it, but a recent drive out seems to have made it rear its ugly head again. However, it doesn't always make the noise. It seems to kick off when the car has been travelling for some time and mainly on a long, straight road. The grinding/whirring seems to occur when I take my foot off the accelerator to allow the car to slow on its own, but seems to stop when I put my foot back on the accelerator. However, the car doesn't even have to have been travelling for great distances in order for this noise to kick in. As it doesn't always make the noise when I am driving, it is very hard for anybody else to hear it - anybody any ideas as to what it could be - its pretty worrying - I don't know much about engines (as you can probably tell). [:(][:(]
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

Worn brake pads and or discs?
CV Joint?
Someone else here will porbably have other ideas.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

My wife reckons it's the gear box or more to the point the lay shaft bearings. Now my old TD zx has this similar sound from the gear box and I've been told it's more than likely the clutch release bearing. Nothing to worry about in either case as the car goes on Saturday. Give your gear box oil a check for level and top up or change this may help.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

My 1.4i did a similar thing when the driveshafts were worn out.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Sounds to me as the startermotor may not retract the gear now & then.
This makes exactly an awfull grinding & whining noise, and mostly cures itself after some driving ...
It's not easy to test, if the problem is random.
But WHEN it happens again, then pull over with engine idle, select neutral, and simply shortly tip the starter position on the ignition key. This will in most cases free a startermotor gear not retracting.
Of course if this works, then you have traced the problem ...
- a startermotor on it's way out ...
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

It could be the rocking of the engine causing a shaft, belt or pulley to make contact with something. Look for shiny bits near all the rotating parts. Stray ends of cable ties, for example, can make an alarming noise.
Jayzee33

Post by Jayzee33 »

Thanks all for your help. Your comments were really useful.
Took car to a local garage the other day and apparently driveshaft on left of the car is worn but no need to replace it yet. It has been packed it with grease which should stop it making the noise, but if it does start making the noise again I will need to replace it. Just relieved to know its not a safety thing and that the car isn't going to blow up as I'm driving it.
Will be taking car out on a long straight run asap to see if it has been fixed. Will keep you posted. Thanks again to you all for your advice.[:)]
Jayzee33

Post by Jayzee33 »

Thought I'd update on what's happened lately.
Unfortunately, within the last week the car decided to grind again!
Took the car back to the same garage who packed the driveshaft and reminded them of the problem. Again, despite them taking the car out for a test run, no grinding noise to be heard - typical!!!!
Still none the wiser as to what is causing it. Mechanic was reluctant to replace driveshaft that he said could have been problem as "if it isn't what is causing the grinding noise, its a lot of money (£100 or so) to replace".
Mechanic put car on ramp and said he heard squeeking coming from the front wheels - he mentioned CV joints - but couldn't say that these would be the cause of a grinding noise.....
Again, anyone else any ideas?????[?]
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Still sounds like the driveshafts to me. Mine usually did it after lifting off once I'd reached over 70, and would then continue as the speed dropped. It would stop if I pressed in the clutch though.
Do you get any knocking noises from the driveshafts when cornering under power? Mine had been doing this for some years before the nasty noise started!
Jayzee33

Post by Jayzee33 »

Thanks Sl4yer for your reply.
Must say, I have't tried pressing the clutch in when the noise occurs - may try that if and when it happens again - although it stops grinding when foot put back on accelerator.
There is a knocking sound that comes from front wheels when trying to park/manouvre, when steering wheel is practically on lock - don't know if this has anything to do with it??? sorry for sounding daft, I have absolutely no idea about cars (obviously).
Mechanic did say that some sort of joints near to wheels on both sides at front (sorry for lack of knowledge) - could be CV joints??? - are cracked and will need replacing at some time - as if they break completely, I will feel something loosen as I'm driving, although he said nothing at the moment was loose he could see of, which would cause any sort of grinding noise.
Appreciate any help you can give.[:)]
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Yes, the knocking sound is probably knackered CV joints.
When the nasty noise first started on mine (suddenly, on the M5!) I eventually found that it was relieved under light acceleration or constant speed. My local mechanic didn't think that driveshafts could be responsible (thought the gearbox more likely) but after a lengthy test drive he conceded the car actually gelt in pretty good nick.
Unfortunately, driveshafts aren't cheap (maybe £160 for both as exchange items, plus fitting). Its down to you whether the car is worth it or not. Hope this helps. [:)]
Jayzee33

Post by Jayzee33 »

Quick update.
Booked car in and had 2 new driveshafts replaced. Bit of a gamble (price-wise) having this done as still don't know if problem solved - just a matter of time until we hear the noise again (or hopefully not)......
Thanks again Sl4yer for all your advice so far. Will keep you posted.[:)][:)]