Xantia cuttting out/surging 2.0 Petrol Inj

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mg46783
My Cars:

Xantia cuttting out/surging 2.0 Petrol Inj

Post by mg46783 »

Hi guys... how you all doing? - LTNS as they say round here :)
Ok so , reason for looking in....
I have this N reg Xantia that is difficult starting/cuts out at traffic lights etc and often surges on idle up to 2-3000 rpm!
Has anyone come across this before/any ideas??? Very much appreciated - Thanks in advance...
Mike
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

The good old air corrector stepper strikes again. It's on the back of the throttle body, take it off, clean it and it should be ok. Sometimes they need replacing though.
mg46783
My Cars:

Post by mg46783 »

Hi..Would that be the black cylindrical object ? Im struggling to remember - its a week since I actually saw it!! Incidently, I meant to mention its been stood 6 months so I suppose that ties in..
Mike
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Yes, black and cylindrical held on by two torx screws.
mg46783
My Cars:

Post by mg46783 »

Cheers... I'll have another look-see as soon as.
Next question might be.. Where's the cheapest to get such a thing ?Any ideas?
TIA
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

No such thing as a cheap Citroen spare!
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi Stempy,
You told me about cleaning the stepper out with WD40. I did that, AND all the breather pipes. Worked a treat. Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Greg
Ps. Can`t find the actual post that I sent, for you to answer. Doh
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Glad to be of help, wish I could find my flywheel sensor though, I'd love to test it, but as with most things Citroen, it's not where it's supposed to be.
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi Stempy,
Uh-Oh. Its back. Revs climbing, jerking. I spoke too soon. What I have noticed is that when stone cold, the fault doesn`t occur--now as it warms up, it acts up. Pity one can`t by-pass it.. Pity they didn`t keep to plugs and points, lol
Gre
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

This happened to my old 2.0. I removed the stepper again, cleaned out the throttle body again and managed to dismantle the stepper and grease it up. If you connect up the stepper while it's removed you can get it to wind and unwind as you turn the ignition on and off, but be careful as it might screw itself all the way out, and make sure it's wound in enough when you put it back, other wise it wont go in properly.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

When did you last have the injectors cleaned and "O" rings replaced? These can give similar symptoms.
Possibly will be in the stepper motor and will usually respond to cleaning. I have cleaned with WD but then shot some Penetrene into it as this is a much better lubrication than WD.
Alan S
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi All,
Will try taking it all off again this weekend. When the car jerks, it`s like turning the engine off and on again, although very quickly. I had a new stepper put on, but that made it worse for surging, unless it was a duff one. Can`t understand the need for all this junk that they put on these cars now. Why can`t the bloody throttle be controlled by the cable alone. I will see if the car runs without the stepper motor electrics plugged in.
When I cleaned it out the first time, all was well, so it MUST be something to do with that, just don`t want to lay out for another if it isn`t going to do the job. Roll on when I get my TD on the road. Stuff petrol cars. Never have another.
Problem is, I have got to get this 16v working right before I can sell it. Got to get the pigging alarm sorted too.
Life is never dull with a Citro.
Regards,
Greg
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi Again,
Read this after the bigger post.
Forgot to ask if there is a limit to how much plunger is in or out on the stepper motor. Doh
Greg
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Greg1100, got to say mate had the same with the stepper motor on my Xsara 1.6 VTR. Messed about with it for about 2 months with cleaning it etc, eventualy bit the bullet and bought a new one. If you get the part number and manufacture (may be Bosch or magnet mareli) give these guys a ring. Citroen wanted near on £180 for the part but paid £65 for the exact same part but from the manufacture with out Citroen on the box. Fitted all well no probs at all.
www.autoteknik.co.uk
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Fogot to say they do overnight delivery aswell. I do recomend them for a lot of electronic auto stuff.