Anyone got a scrap / knackered Xantia engine?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Anyone got a scrap / knackered Xantia engine?

Post by uhn113x »

Hi guys
My son has just got a Xantia TD, and brought it up to show me. We opened the bonnet, and, <i>quelle horreur</i>, all the top cambelt covers are missing (I am, of course, assuming there should <b>be</b> some!)
Has anyone got a set on a scrap motor? And what is the panel's opinion about them being missing?
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

The missing covers will not affect the running of the engine but could affect your fingers or a tie, etc. if you got them in the way!
A clumsy fitter has probably broken them during a cambelt change. R
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Mike -
Being an old phart myself, I know I have to be very careful messing around on a running engine [:I]
It's so darned easy to forget a running alternator belt, if you need a hand supporting yourself leaning over the engine [B)]
This would be no different on an open running cambelt (ouch) [8)]
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I would like to see a set fitted to keep any rubbish / oil / diesel / wet off the cambelt.
Should be able to get a set from the scrapyard - there are two types though. Early cars had clip on covers (engine front plate should be in evidence behind the camshaft sprocket). Later cars have bolt on types (no front plate behind the sprocket) and are a fiddle to fit - particularly the 11mm bolt down the back that you really need to remove the turbo hoses to get at.
Covers from any Pug / Cit TD of the appropriate type should fit. You'll need to remove the engine mount to get them in though.
At least you can see what the belt looks like!
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Thanks, all, for your responses. It has no plate behind the cam sprocket, so I think I will leave him to sort it out[;)]
My concern was more about oil or a stray pebble finding its way in than a tie-wearing muckanic coming to grief! [:D]
Oh, well, I have enough of my own to do - master cylinder to fit on ZX at weekend, battery and carpets back in DS and fire it up for another season of floating along the road!
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

A word of warning! A number of people with PSA diesels have been unfortunate in having an auxilliary belt go - and wrap itself around the cam timing belt, thus causing massive destruction! So you are perfectly right in saying that you should definitley have all the covers on!
//NiSk
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Try the previous owner! Many years ago before I knew better I used to take these off because it makes a Cortina engine look a lot tougher and made you feel like you were Mad Max!!!
He could just stick "MFP" on the boot...............
davyboy19
My Cars:

Post by davyboy19 »

Hi uhn113x,
My local scrapyard has a xantia in at the minute, and it seems im the only person who knows its there or requires bits from it, the engine bay and covers seem intact on it, if you require the covers i can get them for you and post them on as im in Birmingham, i dont know how much they would cost to buy or post but i can find out if your interested.
Dave
[8D]