Wanted Xantia wheel brace tool

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tebster
My Cars:

Wanted Xantia wheel brace tool

Post by Tebster »

Hi,
I have just recently purchased a 1999 Xantia, unfortunately I had a puncture the other day and was unable to lower the spare wheel or remove the wheel nuts as the tool is missing from the car.
Has anyone got one of these spare that I could purchase from them ?
Have tried every scrapyard in the area and everyone is missing.
Thanks in advance
Paul
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Have you just looked at xantias in breakers yards for these, if so go and have a look in all Citroens and all Peugeots, they all have basically the same wheel brace.
Dave
Tebster
My Cars:

Post by Tebster »

Have had a look at all the peugeots and citroen models but again they are all missing, guess people take them to remove the wheels and stick em in there toolboxes.
Thanx anyway
Paul
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Mine was seized and I just cut it off with a grinder, or alternatively,you can do what the thieves do and deflate the spare; that way the carrier should push up enough to unhook. Check BX's, xsaras, and peugeots as well as they are all more or less the same, BUT!!! on the 205, which is where I got my replacement from the jack and brace are actually clipped under the bonnet on the offside[}:)], so you won't find one in the boot at all[:I]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

these things are completely useless for undoing wheel nuts - far better to buy one of the extending types from a accessory shop. - They are generally under about £10 and will always get the wheeel undone.
This then leaves the problem of how to operate the cradle. On my BX I have a bolt with a head that is the same size as a wheel bolt head - so no problem. On our ZX we have a strange slot which it seems is to be operated using the hook end of the wheel brace to engage in the slot. This is difficult to operate as the hook keeps coming out of the slot and really should be replaced with a bolt like that on my BX.
The jack is of course operated by the wheel brace but I would have thought that you could have found a bar to operate it and save your knuckles at the same time (As you scrape the road while trying to rotate the brace.
Not the best bit of Citroen cars!
Jeremy
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>
[br
On our ZX we have a strange slot which it seems is to be operated using the hook end of the wheel brace to engage in the slot. This is difficult to operate as the hook keeps coming out of the slot and really should be replaced with a bolt like that on my BX.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
This is what's fitted to the Xantias. A B awful piece of design. I've often thought I would like to replace it with a wheelbrace sized bolt.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I can't see why they bothered with it as a standard bolt would presumably be cheaper.
jeremy
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

I can't see why they bothered with it as a standard bolt would presumably be cheaper.
jeremy
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
But the wheel brace would need two heads on it, because you wouldn't be able to do full 360 degree turns on the brace because of access...
dopscribe
My Cars:

Post by dopscribe »

I happen to have a new Xantia wheelbrace propping a door open at home - it belonged to the Xantia before last, and somehow got overlooked when the happy buyer took it away. Make me an offer.