stuck in reverse

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gloworm

stuck in reverse

Post by gloworm »

put the car into reverse today (citroen synergie) when i came to put it into 1st the gearlever wouldnt go anywhere except neutral had to reverse the car around the block to park it up. externally everything on the gearbox is where it should be . anyone got any ideas before i trailer it to a garage[:0]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Is the stick blocked - or does it move around without engaging gears ?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I Had the same problem with my ('93) XM TD12 a number of years ago. Stuck in reverse. I managed to back it round to a friends grease pit and by wiggeling the selector rods around from underneath (some of which sat rather loose), lifting up a front wheel and rolling it back and forth while someone else rattled the gear lever inside the car, I finally got it back into neutral. I then inspected the gear change linkage more thoroughly and discovered an inordinate amount of play, so I ordered a new main selector rod and bellcrank. It turned out that Citroën had modified just these parts, so I was supplied with a mod-kit. Once this was fitted, all excessive play disappeared and I havn't had the problem again.
Most of th eplay came from the bellcrank, which swivelled on a pivot screwed into the steering rack housing. The mod-kit had a much better solution which distributed the forces better.
//NiSk
gloworm

Post by gloworm »

took the wheel off today drained oil & removed the end casing off the gearbox bent a bit of wire into a hook and got it out of gear replaced the casing & filled up with synthetic gearbox oil . ive drove it for about 2 hours using all the gears & it seems ok(fingers crossed) ;)