Which are the best flavours of Xantia Estate....?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Daniel B
My Cars:

Which are the best flavours of Xantia Estate....?

Post by Daniel B »

Hi there,
I have a Xantia question for you all!
I quite fancy a Xantia estate, as it appears to me you get a LOT for your money, with around 3.5K getting a nice 99, or even 2000 example on occasions.
So my question is, is there any particular models to avoid, or to go for?
I'm not worried too much whether it's a Diesel or petrol, thoughts on this?
Which is the best Diesel engine, if I had one it would have to be a turbo, I see there are 1.9, 2.0 & 2.1 Turbo diesels, though the 2.1's seem comparitively rare - any reason for this?
Which is the best petrol engine, I've seen 1.8's, 2.0 NA (?) and turbo's, light pressure 150bhp(?) I'm guessing.
I reckon i'd like a few toys, ie leccy mirrors/windows/sunroof, and perhaps air con - not worried about leather though.
Cheers
Dan
Patxi
My Cars:

Post by Patxi »

As for diesels, if you could get your hands on a HDi... it's a "last generation" diesel engine, compared to all the others.
I once rode a '99 1.8 car. Very good power at low revs, unfortunately i only drove it for some 2kms without exploring much the engine. But i liked it [:)].
Hope other fellows here can be more helpfull.
Cheers!
Patxi
abinglis
My Cars:

Post by abinglis »

Hi Dan,
I wont pretend for one minute to be a Citroen expert, I have just bought my first Cit last week, a 99(V)Xantia 2.0Hdi SX Estate. This is also my first diesel, I am now wondering why I didn't do this years ago. The fuel consumption is great (i was driving a 2.5V6 Vectra[:I]) and the ride just seems to be better each day.
I have spent a good few months looking a Xantias, found a few that had been on sale for a few months, these weren't the best, the good ones seem to sell quick, why? good specs and nice prices.
My SX has aircon, f/r elec windows, CD changer in the huge boot, rain sensitive front wipers, 4 airbags. The engine pulls real well, its done 51K with a Service History.
I know its early days for me and the Xantia yet, but if you see a good one like I did, then I wouldn't hesitate.
The only probs I have encountered so far is the side air bag warning light staying on all the time and poor radio reception, but I have searched this site for these probs and I am now armed with the info.
Cheers,
Andy.
Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

Hi Andy & Patxi,
many thanks for those replies, very useful - I knew nothing about the Hdi engine!
Does anyone know what the power outputs are for the various engine types and sizes?
Cheers
Dan
Patxi
My Cars:

Post by Patxi »

The latest 1.8L engine has 117bhp, and it's first debut was on the Picasso. The old 1.8 had 113bhp.
The 2.0 HDi has 110BHP and 250Nm torque, 2.2HDi has 135bhp, 280Nm (about that if not mistaken).
2.0 16V had 130bhp (?).
You gotta give more time to check on m old car mags (some as old as 1989!)
See you around [;)]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The turbo diesels are 90, 90 or 110 and 110 horsepower respectively (1.9td HDI 90 or 110 and 2.1td).
The 2.1td is comparatively rare as it was only available in the higher specced Xantias, was expensive and the 1.9td was such a good engine that there was little point in getting the more expensive 2.1.
Of the diesels, the HDI diesels are the ones to go for, although you will pay a premium over a 1.9 or 2.1 td, they are quieter generally more refined.
I own a 1.9 td Xantia and think that the diesel engines are better (more reliable) than the petrols, but they don't have the same power that the petrols have.
Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

Thanks again for all the replies!
So am I correct to assume that the 1.9 and 2.1 Turbo diesels are from the old school, and that the Hdi is the new kid in town, and only comes in 2.0 size?
And I am also right to read that the Hdi comes in 90bhp or 110bhp flavours?
Any easy way to tell what power it is putting out?
Will 110bhp be enough?!
Dan
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Yup, the 1.9td has been around for a few years and whilst not the worlds most refined diesel, gave the French their reputation for the best diesel around (till common rail injection and BMW, anyway); it's the same lump found in Peugeot 306's et all... The 2.1 is a 3 valve/cylinder version of the same engine. The HDi is the new series of common rail units; i'm told the difference is an intercooler and ECU software. Aparently the bhp is on a sticker on the door jam?
110bhp enough? It's not the bhp that really counts...feel the torque!
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Daniel B</i>

Thanks again for all the replies!
Any easy way to tell what power it is putting out?
Will 110bhp be enough?!
Dan
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The stickers have been known to be wrong, the easiest way to tell the difference is to look for the intercooler pipe going to a radiator at the side of the normal radiator.
There is also a difference in VIN numbers, but I cannot find the difference.
The HDI 110 is fast enough in the C5, being identical to the Xantia units, the lighter Xantia shouldn't struggle.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Rating the diesels by power output is misleading. They have <b>huge</b> ammounts of torque (over 200 lb/ft) very low down in the rev range. In effect they have much more power at 2000 to 3000rpm than the petrol engines.
The 2.0 turbo petrol has 150bhp and 178 lb/ft of torque with over 90% of that torque available from 2000rpm thorough to 5000rpm (or so the manual says). The downside is 30mpg at best. There was also a 135bhp 16valve petrol (the turbo is an 8valve).
The 2.0HDi 110 is certainly the one to go for.
The top spec cars were badged VSX early on then Exclusive toward the end. Around '98 the standard sunroof was replaced with standard aircon, later cars had both as standard. The electric leather seats are nice but be warned that Citroen electrics are legendary for the wrong reasons.
Common problem on the estate is a leaky tailgate. A bit of bad design inside the door is to blame but it can be fixed with good quality mastic.
Some cars also had problems with the front door hinges not being welded to the body correctly, hopefully these have all been fixed by now.
Patxi
My Cars:

Post by Patxi »

The 90bhp HDi, according to my C5 onwers manual, has a hand operated, rubber type pump for getting diesel into the high pressure injection pump, when you trust too much on your fuel tank... [;)]. That's the only visible difference between the 90 and 110 bhp versions. It's near the common rail/injectors on the C5.
Oh, the 1.8L petrol is the 112bhp version, the 117bhp never made it to the Xantia, according to my mags.
I don't find my 110HDi that torquey at low revs... only above 1500rpm it seems happy, without cluttering.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patxi</i>
I don't find my 110HDi that torquey at low revs... only above 1500rpm it seems happy, without cluttering.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That seems to be a trait of modern (common rail) turbo diesels; they seem very dependant on their turbos for their driveability, most of which kick in at around 1500rpm these days due to variable vane turbos and the like.
Anyone remember when petrol injection cars first came out? The early ones didn't seem to have the "from idle" grunt that carb'd cars had...Give them time!
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

How are the HDI units for long term reliability compared to the tractor technology older units? I work in IT and being someone who tends to drive older cars, generally prefer my vehicles not to rely on digital electronic things like ECUs as I've had much first hand experience of aging computer kit......
However, I'm happy to accept that technology has moved on but will an older HDI engine still give the sort of reliability that I would like?
Ron
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The HDi's are great engines - until something goes wrong, and then you ar most definitely bug***ed. There is nothing even an experienced do it yourselfer can do since all the electronics are tamper-proof.
The 2.1 TD12 is a great old-style swirl-chamber engine with loads of torque from 1,200 rpm, a nice smooth take up (none of the hard growling direct injection stuff), is more economical than the 1.9 and lasts forever (well, at least 512 000 km in my case).
//NiSk