Weird things happening - ZX td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sooty
My Cars:

Weird things happening - ZX td

Post by sooty »

The last couple of days weird things have been happening, now and again.
First, when I switched on the ignition in any position, I could hear a clicking sound like a flasher unit when you have a bulb blown, but my flashers where not flashing. When they were switched on the clicking slowed down and the flashers worked.
Second, when travelling on the motorway, I could hear this clicking again, but this time also the rear wiper would work on its own intermittently for a single sweep. I checked to ensure the switches are in thier correct positions and if I try to push the wiper from its parked position, it don't budge or start and it made no difference, they still carried on.
But today everything is OK. Anyclues to what is happening or what the cause maybe??
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The faint clicking, or clattering, is likely to be your flasher unit operating vaguely, by a carbon tracing (partial shortcircuit) in the blinkers stalk switch, a common problem.
Try gently press the stalk in either direction next time it happens. If the clattering then stops you know.
What made the rear wiper do an occasional sweep I don't know, but it COULD be the vaguely clattering flasher unit that made a voltage spike setting off the rear wiper. But rather I'd take it as a separate problem, and then likely the switch for some reason not being fully home in the rest position.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Tried it, made no effect at the time it hapened as already mentioned above. The clicking sound is at the same level as the flasher, but at the speed as you would if only one lamp is working.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

My 94 ZX 1.9D has an aftermarket immobiliser fitted and suffers from what i can only call being haunted. generally on starting only the rear wiper will operate especially if the immobiliser sensor (which is a wire around the steering column) does not sense the smart chip on the key fob properly. the car is generally in exceptional condition and does not suffer from any other electrical problems. The wiper will stop if I wave the chip around near the sensor.
jeremy
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

There are no aftermarket gadgets fitted, no repairs carried out recently, everything is standard as from the factory. No Alarm, only kepad immobilser and no remote central locking, its a basic Elation.
I think there must be some sort of feedback to the Flasher and R.wiper circuits to trigger them off.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Have a look at the wiring diagram in Haynes if the ZX manual is not a joke edition, and check to see if the indicators/hazards and rear wiper share a common wiring connector or earth point.
If you have access to a replacement indicator stalk, then fitting that MAY resolve the problem if it's what Anders describes. However, as with all electrical problems, there's no real substitute for applying logic and patience.
However, I'm a fine one to talk. OK on the patience front but occasionally deficient on the logic front (DON'T attempt to dismantle an indicator stalk switch and expect to reassemble it successfully).
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi Sooty
Both wipers and indicators are fed from same fuse. The wiper timer relays have a small bit of electronics based around an 8-pin chip (which I suspect is actually a 555) to operate the timer.
Now, if you had a poor connection in the fusebox or anywhere else, and your indicator switch was tracking, it is quite conceivable that this would trigger the timer.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

ha! my rear wiper does it's own thing too! sometimes goes off on its own, usually when just starting the car or under heavy acceleration/braking!! (coupled with an annoying buzzing sound) Haven't done anything about it and it seems to have been better recently!
Brian Oblivion
My Cars:

Post by Brian Oblivion »

I had this for over 125k on my old 306 1.9 xld. I thought it was a relay under the steering column. I'd drive along and it would start. It seemed to stop if I quickly indicated and cancelled. Curious.....
Brian Oblivion
My Cars:

Post by Brian Oblivion »

I had this for over 125k on my old 306 1.9 xld. I thought it was a relay under the steering column. I'd drive along and it would start. It seemed to stop if I quickly indicated and cancelled. Curious.....
AthlonZX
My Cars:

Post by AthlonZX »

Can’t offer much to help on the ticking noise, but I can offer some feedback on the intermittent activation of the rear wiper. In my case the seal around base of the wiper arm had failed [B)]. This allowed a small amount of water to seep in down the arm shaft, over the motor itself and into the wiper relay in the boot! I quite accidentally wound up with a rain-sensitive rear wiper [:D]. On one occasion driving back on the M1 in a torrential downpour it came on and wouldn’t switch off [:0], the only way I could stop the wiper was to pull out the blue relay attached to the motor. I solved the problem by removing the wiper arm and re-sealing round the shaft hole with silicon sealer. I also removed the blue motor relay from it's mount, wrapped it in a plastic bag, and secured it pointing upwards (to prevent water leaking into and filling the bag). Hope this helps
Just as a general ZX dash board question, I get a continual buzzing sound on the second stage ignition on my ZX, which varies in pitch continually (almost like an electric motor struggling to turn). I cant track it to any particular relay or component, and it’s made the noise ever since I have had it. Has anyone else experienced this?
Cheers
athlonZX (Dave)
Citroen ZX Aura TD 1993 K-reg 127,199 miles [8D]
gazraa
My Cars:

Post by gazraa »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I could hear a clicking sound like a flasher unit when you have a bulb blown, but my flashers where not flashing. When they were switched on the clicking slowed down and the flashers worked.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I too am having this problem on my ZX 1.4i Elation.
Slight movements of the indicator stalk seem to stop it temporarily, but it's really annoying.
Did you manage to fix it?
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

I had this happen on my ZXTD. It was the indicator stalk switch which eventually died emitting smoke and burnt plastic smell! Slightly worrying. Fixed by replacing the switch with one from a scrappy. Now of course this is beggining to show the same symptoms. So take my advice and get a new one from GSF (of course!). It can be changed without renoving the steering wheel (and messing with airbags). It is a bit of a struggle but possible. But if you do have an airbag I would recommend deactivating it first (disconnect the battery and leave for 20+min). Don't forget to deactive the alarm and remember the radio code before doing this. Afterwards remove all loose items from anywhere near the steering wheel/airbag region, shut all the doors and windows then reconnect the battery. Then open the drivers door and switch on the ignition without getting in the car, check the airbag light goes out after 10sec or so. Others may have better advice regarding airbags, and I may well be wrong.
I hope this helps
Cheers
Duncan
gazraa
My Cars:

Post by gazraa »

cheers for that, looks like a new switch it is then. Already checked with GSF (which also happen to be my initials!) and they have them in stock.