Stuck caliper pin suggestions?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gaskin
My Cars:

Stuck caliper pin suggestions?

Post by Gaskin »

I need to change the front pads on my Xantia, but on one caliper the pin locating the caliper onto the bracket will not come out. I've tried ever larger hammers, but am afraid that if I hit it any harder then I'm going to damage ball joints or struts etc. Any tips or tricks that don't involve blow torches (the rubber dust cover around the piston seems too close for that...). I'm loathed to admit defeat and take it to the local garage, but maybe its better that than demolishing the caliper!
As ever thanks for any suggestions
Cheers
Duncan
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

I've never had to apply heat and always got them out in a few minutes.
You need a good spray/soak of WD40 or similar. Then get a strong hardened punch of the correct diameter and a 4lb lump hammer. Hold the punch carefully on the pin and hit it *very* hard with the hammer. The harder you hit the more likely the shock will move it first/second time and you'll avoid the possible greater damage from being too easy on it but striking loads of times.
Good luck.
David
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

As above, but use PlusGas - it's the best penetrating oil by far (up to ten times faser than WD40 according to Practicle Car Restorer magazine).
//NiSk
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Wrap a wet rag around the rubber seal and give it some "hot spanner" then soak in the penetrating oil of choice, you have removed the locking clip havent you? and it is the pin at the top you are after? after that its just a suitable drift and some welly;0)
Stewart
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

Yes it was the lower pin. Thanks for the tip Dave, I think the rigid punch made the difference. Once out the rest was easy (ish!). Had to make a tool to wind the pistons in, not elegant but functional. Previous person had managed to miss the slot in the piston with the locating lug on the pad, resulting in a dent in the piston crown and squashed lug. I don't know if this had any effect on the braking either feel or function, but it is now as it should be. The discs didn't look too bad, but may need replacing in the next year or so, any ideas how to get corroded discs off the hub without major damage?
Now its time to change the LHM and bleed the brakes oh and change a wheel cylinder and brake fluid on a ZX...... Easibleed here I come! Still it keeps my off the streets I suppose and what else is the weekend for?
Cheers
Duncan