Starting problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AJ

Starting problems

Post by AJ »

Hi i'm new to the site but can anyone help.Ihave a xantia 19td and terrible starting in the early morning but yesterday afternoon was not too bad it starts and runs ok when warm any suggestions.
Cheers AJ.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

The xantia has several well known issues but the best place to start is to check the glow plugs. Test lamp between top of plugs and engine block, turn ignition on lights up?
Yes, good.
Remove wire from each plug. Test lamp from wire to top of plug. Ignition on Lights up?
Yes, good.
That's the first test. Duff plugs can be replaced for a fiver but the one behind the fuel pump is a little tricky!
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

With a bit of luck, it'll be the glow plugs. If it isn't you'll find many a reference within this forum to Xantia TD's with 'poor starting'. These particular cars start on the button when warm, and run smoothly whilst driving, but are absolute pigs to start when the weather's cold and they've been stood for more than a few hours. I for one have tried most of the suggested fixes within these pages - but usually 'run out of steam' and motivation by the time the weathers improving and the problem goes away. I can tell by the service history supplied with my Xantia (which has done 140K miles now) that the problem must have been first reported at about 30-40K miles as this is when the first set of glow plugs were changed - the obvious reason for poor cold starting. It becomes clear when looking at the number of plugs fitted by the service agents over the years that this was not really the problem. Roll on summer..!
ZXturbo_Aura
My Cars:

Post by ZXturbo_Aura »

it could be a good idea to check that the Cold Start Cable which increases the fuel on cold starts is working propely, had to change both mine on my ZX and on my Dads Xantia td, if i remember the cable should be taught when cold and when the engine is warm the cable should be slightly slack?
DAn
AJ

Post by AJ »

Cheers i will keep you posted
all the best AJ
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Another possibility is an air leak into the fuel system - this can easily be checked out by pumping the priming bulb before trying to start on a morning - if it starts immaculately then there's your problem!
Ron