K and N Air Filters - Any Good?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rg
My Cars:

K and N Air Filters - Any Good?

Post by rg »

Hello Folks,
I inherited one of these filters fitted to my 2.5 TD '97 XM.
I suspect that my Citroen indie did not change this on the last couple of services, as there are specific instructions on the filter housing, namely:
"Clean every 50K miles by soaking in K and N filter cleaner. Do not soak in petrol. Treat with K and N filter oil"
So are these things actually any better than standard in terms of air flow and effectiveness? Or would it be cheaper to replace with a standard disposable filter, rather than investing in some cleaner and oil? And from where would I buy some of this cleaner and oil?
Comments, observations, and advice most welcome!
Best wishes
rg
sponix
My Cars:

Post by sponix »

I'm not an expert but as I understand it they are *usually* better than a paper filter and in theory it'd be cheaper in the long run to keep it.
However, your car would have been designed to use the standard Citroen filter so the K&N *could* have a detrimental effect on performance, unless other mods have been made.
I'm pretty sure that there are other fitler cleaners/oils out there that are cheaper than the K&N stuff.
Interwired

Post by Interwired »

There are basically two types of K&N Filters :
<b>Replacement Cone Filter</b> (replaces most of stock filter housing with a Large cone shaped Filter)
There has always been a lot of debate over the risk of these filters allowing more dirt particles to pass through them, which could cause Intake blockages or even worse, engine damage overtime.
As for Performance Improvements, this varies per each vehicle, depending on the original setup efficiency, but anything from -3 to +3 bhp on a standard engine. As for Modified Engines that require more air intake, the Filter is usually a necassary investment to make full use of other modifications(and can make a noticable difference).
To achieve optimum performance with the Cone Filter, a good cold air supply feed is required, as they suffer from heat soak within the engine bay.
<b>Replacement Panel Filter</b>(replaces original foam/paper filter only)
Most of what applies for the Cone filter applies for the Panel filter, except in a lesser degree(less airflow, but more protective), and they make use of the standard airbox cold air feed supply.
Car Modifiers also like them for the sounds they make, over the standard setup.
They are designed so that they never need be replaced, just cleaned and oiled, and for this reason they can make cost-saving sense (and a nice deep sound from engine bay on full throttle never hurt anyone [:I])
David
91 Bmw 535i Sport
90 Citroen AX GT
87 VW Golf Gti 8v
Patxi
My Cars:

Post by Patxi »

I fitted once a cone shaped K&N on my Frontera. pretty damn good results, it even made my bad MAP sensor Good (compensated it). On the other hand, it blew my 2nd MAP sensor... You see, the problem with these filters lyes in the oil itself, the filtering element. If the oil wets the sensor, wrong air data goes to the ECU.
I suggest you buy the cleaning kit. not expensive. When the washing fluid ends, used some good Fairy dish soap.
BUT don't soak the filter with too much oil... ;)
Cheers!