Heater Gremlin

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

flugle
My Cars:

Post by flugle »

Davey
Managed to get the controller board out, and my trusty B&Q Multimeter is showing a dead short between both pairs of pins and their cases.
So looks like your original hunch was correct.
What next? I think i can suss how to disemble it but would appreiciate your advice and help re this and the replacement trannies.
Thanks again
Flugle
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi Davey
Oh dear - I seem to have upset you somewhat. Sorry if this is the case, but FWIW, I certainly agree with you about political correctness and do-gooders, all of whom should be jailed.
Solution to your Berlingo problem may be carrot shade seat covers? [;)]
Yes, I was also in electronics in a previous life! Do not like SMDs, or excessive electronics in cars. Thank goodness the injection computer on the DS is entirely discrete, ends up in a couple of huge PNP power transistors.
My moan about textspeak etc is justified, I think - I have genuine difficulty in reading many descriptions on ebay, and many forums, and usually just give up. I appreciate that 10% of the population are dyslexic, but can usually spot when someone is.
There is nothing wrong, I think, in being proud of my native language (very politically <b>in</b>correct of course) so I cringe when I hear people sticking 'know what I mean' 'basically' and loads of expletives in every sentence. That's my soapbox moan session done!
We all have things we like to moan about.
Of course we are all here to help each other - if flugle popped in with his problem, he would probably leave with it sorted.
Keep smiling
davey
My Cars:

Post by davey »

mike,
probably right about the seat covers - cit do some wierd combos of colours but unfortunately not that one..... maybe shoulda had the snip when the opportunity arose then again i'm sure it'll be 20 yrs of bliss ahead! sorry about last, pretty crap day, house move ongoing, new baby, ... and vomit on every damn tshirt i put on...
used to work satcomm for yrs with teletype stuff hence tech shorthand ...old habits die hard. (actually surprised managed to father 2 'normalish' kids with all the rf i've encountered)
anyway to flugle,
let me know the part no. off the trannie top and will look up part from old reciept to morrow (saves me taking blower to bits again). the 2 trannies have 4 rivets fixing them and the whole lot together. drill out rivit tops and desolder each trannie to remove, split heatsink from cct board. i think the trannie lead holes were thru plated so be carefull desoldering them. once out if u chk them both with meter, one will be short cct and the other ok (only 1 of a parallel pair tends to go short). you can refit the good 1 as a temp measure until u get get spares but u can only run yr blower no more than about a third (otherwise the single trannie will also pop) and at max (relay handles max load). i refitted trannies and whole assy with 4 small bolts.
will give u a shout tomorrow, that little lot should keep u going..
.... enjoy.
flugle
My Cars:

Post by flugle »

Davey
The number on top is FW26025A1
the fun starts tonight
look forward to hearing from you, tho i feel this will keep my swear box filled up for quite a while.
Thanks
flugle
davey
My Cars:

Post by davey »

flugle,
that FWxxxxx number was the same as i found. this part is available although it is obsolete. after shopping around i found u could get them for about £75 each from 1 of these companys that collect old stuff and then charge a bomb because u need it (they were, in fact amazed it was fitted to a 2000 car!)
the suitable equivelent item you need is a PNP pwr darlington transistor in a TO3 package - part number MJ2501. got mine fm CPC but Maplin do them as order code N72AH. you will also need heat transfer compound (code RE96E) to smear between trannie & heatsink to help with heat dissapation.
order 2 and fit both as a matched pair otherwise mixing different types could cause one to fail prematurly. when i had the whole assy in bits found it prudent to clean up the board then use cct board laquer to give it protection from the a/c moisture.
its been workin sweet as nut since.
good luck
flugle
My Cars:

Post by flugle »

Davey
got it in bits and ordered spares from maplin, all went well had a bit of a paddy when i kept getting s/c when the circuit board was bolted to the heat sink (posted and edited!) but took it home, stuck it back in the blingo and voila! it flies!
Taken your advice and only run it up at 1/3 speed but what a result.
Maplins stuff on 2/3 days delivery. so rip it out again when new trannies arrive.
Thanks very much for all your trouble I've learnt a lot and it's been fun(ish) but phoned Mr C this pm in smugness and £105.89 instead of £9.79, so you've saved me £96.10!!!
Can't thank you enough for this, i owe you one Thanks!
Cheers Colin (Flugle)
ps Swear box overflowing and i'd forgoten how many times its possible to burn yourself with just one soldering iron (it's been a while!!!)
kosio
My Cars:

Post by kosio »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davey</i>

flugle,
the suitable equivelent item you need is a PNP pwr darlington transistor in a TO3 package - part number MJ2501. got mine fm CPC but <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
davey,
It's very helpful of you to mention a replacement for those hard to find transistors. Great!
I just wonder which one of the 3 I found for sale is the right one:
P-DARL 80V 10A 150W TO3 (MJ2501-ST),
P-DARL+D 80V 10A 150W POW TO3 (MJ2501-MOT) and
P-DARL 80V 10A 150W (MJ2501-MBR).
I guess that one is not in the right package, and the othe has
a diode or something but am not too sure - I'm new to this.
If you could shed some light on this it will be great.
Cheers,
kosio
davey
My Cars:

Post by davey »

kosio,
you wont go wrong using the first one as it is in the correct TO3 package.
(this is the i used almost a year ago and it still works)
you are correct on the 2nd one, it has a protection diode across its output (stops back voltage from a coil damaging the transistor juction), i suspect it will do the job as its more bombproof but since i didnt try it i coulnt say for sure.
the -ST -MOT -MBR are the transistor manufacturer MOT = Motorola
hope thats of some use
dave