What's this on my Bosch Fuel pump?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantiargh
My Cars:

What's this on my Bosch Fuel pump?

Post by Xantiargh »

Hi all
Spent half the weekend tracing a leak in the fuel pipes that I hope is going to cure the asmatic starting once and for all (it had got to the point where the car would only start by hand priming).
Anyway, while poking around under the bonnet and looking for leaks I noticed that the paint that marks the settings on the Bosch fuel pump had been disturbed. Only one erm... twiddly bit.. shows signs of tampering, but I don't know what it is, does, or why it would have been changed.
Looking at the pump from the front of the car, the bit is on the right hand side (fuel filter side). Its above the unions for the injector pipes, and appears to be a screw in a long shaft that sticks out 2-3 inches (ish) from the side of the pump.
Judging by the paint marks it appears to have been turned anti-clockwise quarter of a turn.
What is it and what effect would such a change have on the pump/car?
Any ideas?
Mike
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

That sounds like the maximum fueling screw to me.
Xantiargh
My Cars:

Post by Xantiargh »

Ok, what effect would turning it anti-clockwise have had? Why would someone do that?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

You would adjust that scew either for more power or less smoke the two are related...
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Clockwise is more fuel and anti-clockwise is less fuel
Neil
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

certain gibbons masquerading as vehicle engineers are known to adjust this in preference to changing the air filter! which they otherwise remove to enable the engine to run on a mixture of gravel and dead leaves.
Stewart
Xantiargh
My Cars:

Post by Xantiargh »

Ahh, so if I turn it clockwise will I get more oomph, or just use more fuel, or both?
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Ahh, so if I turn it clockwise will I get more oomph, or just use more fuel, or both?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Both, and probably more smoke and an MOT failure as well.
As oilyspanner says, it may have been turned to cover up a clogged air cleaner or injectors that need servicing. Adjustment is very critical!