Xantia clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bones`

Xantia clutch

Post by bones` »

My newly aquired xantia clutch is biting right at the very top to the point of feeling like slipping. Is the clutch maually adjustable? The action is nice and smooth just the biting point is way wrong. What would the life expectancy of a clutch in a 97' 2litre 16v thats never towed a thing?
Sorry for the q's i'm totally lost with clutches [:o)]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Seems you need to adjust the clutch cable, to get down the pedal a bit.
The correct pedal adjustment is when you can lift the pedal from rest approx 60mm.
The adjustment is done by a simple cable nut at the gearbox.
You'll have to dig your way down through any hoses and ducts.
Since the clutch pedal feels nice & smooth, both your clutch and cable will be in good condition.
Once the pedal feels like it gets a certain hard point to overcome, it's clutch service time. Also if the clutch slips on hard acceleration.
When the pedal becomes generally hard to activate, it's cable service time, which must be done prior to the reputed plastic link snapping, suddenly leaving you without clutch function at all.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The 2L petrol uses the same pull clutch that the turbo D uses. By 97 I'd have thought it would be an automatic adjusting cable. We had a discussion about the biting point of these clutches a couple of weeks ago. Mine (95 TD, now 100k) has always come in near the top since I've had it, and I just assumed this was normal, becuase of the pull action. However, David Woollard (who has driven way more models than me!) reckons that they should come in about half way down, and coming in near the top is a sign that the clutch is nearing the end of it life. Mine hasn't changed in 30k miles though, and is still reasonably light and progressive (although the clip did break early this year). The 112k ZX TD (same clutch) I bought last month certainly has a heavier action, and I am considering replacing that one later in the year.
I keep meaning to adjust mine, but have not got around to it yet. I was going to do it so that it is fully disengaged about 2" from the floor, which should shorten the somewhat excessive pedal travel when adjusted as per Haynes (140 mm IIRC min travel).
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Bones,
Did you get that Champagne Gold one? I really like that colour.
As Richard and I have discussed before so many folks only get to drive Xantia's with clutches in the last 25% of their life.... and so get a slightly distorted view of how they should feel.
All I can say is that with a new clutch, and all the pivots correctly replaced/greased, pedal weight is about the same as the throttle on a TD....yes really that light.
Also I adjust the cable to give the pedal travel of 150mm (Haynes say the same). This will give a strong bite point before the pedal is halfway up.
A clutch (assuming correct cable adjustment) that disengages if you breathe on it (ie at the top of the travel)is very near the end of its life.
My experience of Xantia clutch life is that you are in the danger zone anything after 75,000 miles.
Richard you'll find that clutch replacement procedure I mentioned in your mail sometime today.
David