citroen bx knocking!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

brightfish

citroen bx knocking!

Post by brightfish »

Hello everyone [:)]
I would be very grateful for some advice.
I have a J reg BX TD estate, when I go to pull away or accelerate there's a heavy clunk which is coming from the o/s front wheel area. Could this be the anti rollbar bushes?
Many thanks
Joe
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Sounds like it could be the CV joint. Try driving the car slowly straight ahead then at full lock both left and right, chances are that the clonk will vary according to the lock applied. You may well be able to 'feel' the clonk through the steering wheel.
If it was anti roll-bar bushes then that noise will normally be heard when travelling over uneven surfaces.
If it is the CV joint then they sold as a complete driveshaft are normally priced under £100 from GSF.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

This could be a lower balljoint from your description. they are cheap but a bit of a pig to fit.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If its a single clunk its unlikely to be drive shafts. As has been stated above the anti-roll bar bushes tend to rattle over bumps and so it doesn't sound like these.
BX's are well known for brake pad movement - shows up on mine when I reverse. I only get this when I change direction and it happens only once until I change direction again.
Otherwise look at engine mounts (I've had to replace the one by the cambelt twice but never really noticed any difference) especialy the one underneath at the back of the sump and the small one linking the yoke to the chassis, the front ball joint as suggested and the wishbone rubbers.
jeremy
brightfish

Post by brightfish »

[font=Verdana]Thanks for all the suggestions, I've managed to find out what the problem is. The main front crossmember that carries the bottom wishbone/suspension is split. It looks like it has been repaired before but not very well. I'm gonna get the welder out and weld a plate over the split.
Thanks again for your suggestions it's much appreciated [:)]
Take care
Joe