Help identifying part name please...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Help identifying part name please...

Post by JamesQB »

Hi everyone,
Need a part for a Xantia 1.8i 1996. There's a circular unit around the steering column, behind the steering wheel from which wires lead to the airbag unit in the steering wheel. It's basically designed to allow a circuit despite the turning movements of the steering wheel. It comprises of thin copper circular strips sandwiched together to keep electrical conductivity, to bridge the wires going into it to the ones going to the airbag unit, inside a black plastic circular casing.
One of the thin copper circles had a segment borken off and was able to move around inside the casing which broke the wire off it, so I repaired as best as I could but was unable to stop the movement caused by the missing segment which usually would have pressed against the casing and kept it in one place.
Car had been fine for weeks like this - no more airbag red LED on airbag unit lighting up when turning steering wheel - but now my father is right now driving back from the airport and has phoned to say smoke is coming from the steering wheel. I'm worried about risk of fire, airbag inflation and excessive damage to the wiring.
That aside, what is this part called so I can get another one ASAP and where might I find a supplier if GSF don't stock it?
Thanks for all help,
James
cit-tech
My Cars:

Post by cit-tech »

it is a air bag ribbon ,make sure you straighten the wheels on the car up first when you fit new one they come centered ,some have a lug to remove
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I would'nt worry about the car I would worry about your father, its not safe to drive in that state and he must keep well away from it, if you are covered by a breakdown service I would get it recovered, or at least they will disconnect it all to make it safe.
I don't want to seem like a scare monger but things are potentialy that bad if wires are smoking in that area.
Mostly refered to as the "Air bag or steering wheel rotary connector".
Dave
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I think Clock Spring is the name of the part you're refering too. Thats what Ford call them anyway.
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

Thanks for the help everyone, the part is termed a rotary connector. Car got back in one piece, so have advised it isn't used until replacement part is fitted. Suppose I'll have to go to Citroen dealer to get the part and hope it isn't £500.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Part depends on RP number.
To RP 6964
4112 W3 - Rotating Switch (With Drivers airbag, Without Remote Stereo Controls) £49.28
4112 Q1 - Rotating Switch (With Drivers airbag, With Remote Stereo control) £83.71
Not quite £500, but dear notheless!