Couple of Xantia Questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rickc
My Cars:

Couple of Xantia Questions

Post by rickc »

Hi everyone glad I've found the site, I've got a couple of problems with 95 M Xantia Turbo D Dimension.
The first one is pretty simple, one of the remote keys (two button) is shafted. Trying to get the spare to work but no joy there either. Batteries are fine, light flashes but nothing's happening. Tried pointing at it the receiver with the ignition and on and with the engine runnig and nothing happens, the light seems to go out after two seconds and the key doesn't register. Is this key knackered as well?
Second one is puzzling me and the guy who usually does all the work on the car for me. I bought the car a year ago, after a month I heard a noise coming from the rear passenger side wheel. It's a high-pitched, metallic sounding noise when u turn to the left but only above say 20mph and only on a reasonably sharp turn, say coming off a roundabout. After a few weeks it went away. It's come back, same noise, sounds like it's coming from same place. The bushes, disks and pads are fine and there's no obvious problem with the suspension and nothing caught up in the brakes, so I'm at a loss. If anyone has any idea I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks alot,
RickC
Kered

Post by Kered »

Hi RickC
Do a search on plips and you will most likely find the answer in a previous thread.
The noise sounds like the rear caliper being corroded where it is attached to the arm. Take the pads out and examine. If pad has worn wedge shaped rather than parallel then that confirms the diagnosis. Again it has been covered in previous threads - try searching.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Ignition switch needs to be in the accessory position only, not full ignition position.
I'd go along with the caliper corrosion diagnosis, the caliper gets pushed towards the disc by the corrosion building up under it, whip the pads out and look down on the caliper, if its not centred over the disc then there is corrosion under it where it mates with the suspension arm.
Dave
rickc
My Cars:

Post by rickc »

Cheers Dave, is it just a case of removing the corrosion and cleaning the whole lot up or is a replacement caliper the best thing?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

A good clean up and greasing of the mating faces is all thats required usualy.
If the caliper mounting face is heavily pitted it wont have good contact with the suspension arm and may cause the brakes to squeel even after all the corrosion has been removed, its a suck it and see job.
Dave