Loss of revs and speed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Frustrated
My Cars:

Loss of revs and speed

Post by Frustrated »

I have a Citroen Xantia sx Hdi 110. Engine management light is on and when driving hard on motorway revs will drop to 2800 max and top speed of 80 mph. Stop the engine for a few minutes and full revs are restored, and car will run reasonably well although a little slugish at low revs. I have changed the fuel filter and housing complete because of a small leak, I have had the fuel pump out the tank to check for dirt, non found. The problem seems only to occur when on the motorway at speeds above 80, yes I know the speed limit is 70, come off the motorway and the revs stay at a max of 2800 in all gears. I did think I had solved the problem when I started using redex in the fuel, but the problem is there all the time now.
Can anyone help with any suggestions.
Patxi
My Cars:

Post by Patxi »

Check out the MAP sensor. it usually gives problems on VW's TDI's [:P] so often than you're back to service every 3~4 days!
Try it. If you want some help on how to clean it, i can give you a hint. Check the web on how to clean MAP's (or MAF's) on VW TDI's. it all the same, hot wire method...
Engine light, loss of power, i could bet my wife's panties (if i had one, that is... [:D]) that that's the culpritt.
Bye!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

do a search on this site for similar problems,things that can case this are - leaking intercooler or other air leaks,airflow meter (like paxti said),blocked vaccum pipes,faulty electrovalves for the turbo & EGR,blocked air filter,turbo pressure sensor + lots more.really you need a diagnostic check done as it sounds like its going into limp home mode.
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

get the engine light checked out as that will tell you what is wrong (hopfully)
Frustrated
My Cars:

Post by Frustrated »

Thanks for all the info, I will get it checked out at the Citroen garage. Just some more info I have again been down the motorway and same as soon as I get to 80mph and 2800 to 300rpm limp mode cuts in, however again when I stop off the motorway and set off again I can rev the engine in second and third all the way to the red line without the fault happening. Only difference is that I do not get the speed up to 80, "run out of road" maxium speed I have got to on dual carriageway is 70mph. Is there any way to find a leak in the turbo pipes with soapy water or something. Once again thanks for all the advice.When I have found out the problem I will post the results on here for all.