Brake pad wear light ( Xantia)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tebster
My Cars:

Brake pad wear light ( Xantia)

Post by Tebster »

Hi,
Can anyone help me locate the wires which are supposed to go to the front discs to operate the pad warning light.
All the wires are missing off both sides but cant seem to locate where they were supposed to plug into the main loom.
Have looked underneath the car to the rear inwards of the front wheels but there doesnt seem to be any spare plugs etc.
The reason I need to find these is because the pad wear light is permanantly on, and fear someone may have cut them off and maybe shorting on the body somewhere.
Your help will be appreciated,
Thank you
Paul [:)]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

The wires from the pads should plug into a socket behind the front hub and attached to the suspension column. If the light is constantly on, the cable end must be shorting on to the body
Tebster
My Cars:

Post by Tebster »

Thank you for your reply but none of the wires are there, someone has had their wire cutters out before I got the car I think, cant even find the plugs on the main loom either.
Ta Paul
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Not all models had the pad wear wiring, so maybe yours is one of them
Tebster
My Cars:

Post by Tebster »

Thank you for your reply but this is a 1999 sx model, am pretty sure that they are supposd to have a brake pad wear light. I maybe wrong but why would the warning light suddenly come on and stay on, its been fully illuminated now for a week and just fickers occasionally ?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Which light is it? It might be the ABS light rather than the pad wear light? I can't see anybody cutting them off - I just don't bother to fit the wires to the pads and leave the socket on the hub.
Tebster
My Cars:

Post by Tebster »

Its definately not the abs light,but definately the pad wear, my guess is as good as yours but the wires have gone and this light is bugging me...lol
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

The connector is usually secured to the handbrake cable but where they go after that I don't know. I'm pretty certain they don't follow the handbrake cable.
There really shouldn't be any reason for anyone to cut them back beyond that connector on a car that age anyway.
I'm sure somebody will have a wheel off this weekend and take a look for you.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

OK, I had a qick squint behind the wheel and I must have been thinking of the BX.
The plug seems to be to the front of the hub, not far from the ABS sensor, the wires disappear straight back along the line of the driveshaft. Looks to have thick insulation and sturdy clips.
Mines a facelifted '98 model.
Tebster
My Cars:

Post by Tebster »

Thank you for finding the time to have a look, on my Xantia there is no sign of the wires you have mentioned,have also looked underneath by the power steering rack etc and no sign of any spare plugs etc, will have to get the old inspection lamp out and spend a bit more time looking as this flickering light is drivin me nuts !