aux belt a bit slack

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pazauk
My Cars:

aux belt a bit slack

Post by pazauk »

Hi just fitted a new aux belt to my 98 2.1td xantia because of a 'coin shakeing' noise comeing form that area under low revs and pulling away. Checked all the play on everything that that belt will be driveing and all seems okay. Put the new belt on all went fine the eccentric roller is now at its max and the automatic adjuster is also set fine. Started it up and the bottom of the belt (part nearest the road) had a hell of a wobble and the noise was still there not as bad but could be hured!!! is there something else that i am missing can i some how tighten up the auto tensioner??? please help [?]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I also have a 1998 2.1 Xantia. There's the eccentric tension pulley but no automatic adjuster on mine. If the belt is vibrating it's because a pulley is out of alignment or because the belt is too slack. Are you sure the belt is of the correct size? I recently fitted a new one, and in spite of the eccentric pulley being free to move, the belt was extremely tight to fit. It should be 1735mm in length
pazauk
My Cars:

Post by pazauk »

yeah i got the belt from citroen so its the correct size, i changed the oil yesterday and it seems to have quietened down a little, when you put on your new belt where it goes from the air con pump to the eng crank does it wobble at idle? mine does i wonder if its my air con pump? or i wonder if somethings 'gave' on the pump???? i'll have to have another good look again tomorrow thanks for takeing the time to let me know about your belt
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pazauk</i>

yeah i got the belt from citroen so its the correct size,
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You obviously have more faith in your local Citroen dealership than I have in mine!!!!!!!
pazauk
My Cars:

Post by pazauk »

lol why have you had a tad of trouble in the past
myheadhurts
My Cars:

Post by myheadhurts »

pazauk, if you still have your old belt measure it and compare it to the length of the new one.I bought my belt from the local branch of gsf and it was much to long ,I eventualy ended up with 4 different size belts before getting the right one.
xantiaBFY
My Cars:

Post by xantiaBFY »

pazauk,I had a similar problem as yours for my 1.9XTD the past 6 months.I have changed the auto tensioner, check the belts etc.One day while checking my brakes pads I thought of checking the tension of my belts and for no reason at all I just shook the air cond compressor and it was loose.The bracket of the compressor was broken but it can't be seen as it was a hairline crack and covered with grime.When it was dismantled a piece of the bracket just dropped out.
Luckily for me I was able to salvage a compressor and canabalised the body and change the broken piece.All the repair was done by my regular mechanic.Now it is silent apart from the diesel clatter.
But then that my XTD maybe you should also check for loose alternators, hydraulic pumps, brackets, etc.
regards.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Last time I had a "coin shaking" noise it was a guide wheel with its bearings breaking up. If you have unusual movement it may point to this. If the belt is a bit slack and the noise has reduced it may also point to the bearing having less force against it. If you cannot trace the problem, I'd be tempted to run the engine with the aux belt off to ensure it isn't a cam belt roller - just in case!
sandancer

Post by sandancer »

I also suspect you've got the wrong sized belt.
Had this problem myself twice over the last six months. First was when I replaced the cambelt and did the drive belt at the same time. Three different sized belts were tried before I got rid of the rattle, which was narrowed down to the auto tensioner pulley vibrating at low revs (1000 or so). Although I've got a 1.9TD, it has the tensioning arrangement used on the 2.1TD HDi and an air con compressor with a name starting with an 'S' (Schlumbeter or something...), a bit of a hybrid really.
Secondly, the eccentric roller loosened itself off. The belt stayed tensioned enough to stay on but loose enough to cause the infernal rattle. Don't know why it slackened, especially as the eccentric roller bolt was an absolute [}:)] to release.
Mark.
pazauk
My Cars:

Post by pazauk »

the new belt is the same size as the old one
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pazauk</i>

the new belt is the same size as the old one
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So is it 1735?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Having had the same trouble with the aux. belt on an XM TD12 (2.1), I understand your greif. Apart from the maze of different belts that are available for this engine (auto gearbox, A/C, Turbo/normal aspirated) and differences dependant on year model (auto tensioning, manual tensioning, different types of tensioning adjusters) I have discovered that there are two ways to fit the belt as well! If you dont draw a sketch of how the belt ran (assuming it was correctly fitted from the start) before you start, you can feed the belt around the tensioner wheel either from between the A/C compressor and alternator or, from between the crank pulley and alternator. The one requires a rather longer belt than the other. Call me stupid, but it's easy to make this mistake!
//NiSk