head gasket paranoia!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

re: water pumps
Put a new one in my bx 16v engine, got car running, mad overheating, checked everything, pipes, rad, etc, even took the head off in the end. Then finally took the New water pump out to find the impellor bit had come off as it was cracked from new!!!
Wasnt happy and made the company i got it from give me a new headgasket as well as a replacement pump. So to summarize it may be worth checking yours after other suggestions by fellow members above
regards
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

cheers for the responses. [:)] I've taken it back to the mechanic anyway.
no bubbles now...new head gasket seems fine, it just didn't solve the overheating which I assumed it would for some reason!
Must be something to do with the coolant circulation. Bled the system again when cold with engine off. Checked it on running and a short jet of coolant came out for about a second and then just air (?)
would a faulty water pump make a noise?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Tom,
I think it's time to replace the water pump - at least that will rule it out (well, unless it's like Darren's!). I do remember though that there was a thread about an overheating BX that turned out to be the thermostat bypass hose being blocked.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

righty-ho...
...water pump replaced, doesn't overheat now! yay!
HOWEVER, it sounds like a lawnmower still!!
Hard to describe sounds, but it is a sort of wheezy fast ticking sound that comes when accelerating, is related to speed and higher revs but not when idling or just revving the engine.
Doesn't inspire me with confidence because althoguh the car seems drivable it sounds unhealthy!
Didn't sound like this before blown head gasket
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Leaking inlet or exhaust gasket?
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

I think its something to do with the cylinder head or one of the drive belts, but I don't know what.
fast wheezy ticking sound, slightly metallic perhaps and pretty loud on hard acceleration.
Also think it is a bit more sluggish than it used to be, and decellerates quite fast when you come off the gas as if there is some sort of light resistance there.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

It sounds as if the timing is out. One notch on the timing belt can make quite a difference. If the diesel pump to cam stretch isn't pulled tight on reassembly it is easy to get one notch out here that disappears when the locking pins are removed and the belt is tensioned. One small notch and you'll never get it running well.