Volcane TDI... Only 12 PSI!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PJLarge
My Cars:

Volcane TDI... Only 12 PSI!

Post by PJLarge »

Hello again,
I hooked up a spare boost gauge tonight... one advantage to modding cars is that I have a lot of spare equipment [8D]
I took the signal off the line that drops from the IC to the pump, ran the signal out from the bonnet through my window and went for a drive. Max boost I could get was 12 PSI although it builds quite quickly and holds 12 PSI through to redline. I thought factory boost was 1 Bar or 14.7 PSI? Obviously there's some room for adjustment here so how far can I go assuming I address fuelling? It's only a small turbo so I'm thinking much above 18psi is going to be going way above the efficiency range of the turbo. At what pressure does the inlet charge become above 'recommended' temps?
I had a look under the car and was quite impressed with the technology. My ZX has the KKK turbo with an external wastegate. I'm used to Garrett turbos with the integral 'gate - my Mazda has a T28 turbo and electronic boost control. The KKK looks like it's going to be a pig to adjust, access seems pretty limited. Any 'gotchas' with my plans or should I just leave it alone?
Thanks,
Phil.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

12 psi = 0.83 bar, which is OK for these engines stock. You can go to about 1.1 bar (16 psi) without too much trouble, beyond this, and you will probably be doing the head gasket every few thousand miles....
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

Do a search on here there is a guide on the web that talks you through all the adjustments with nice piccies too. The link has been posted before in a thread on Xantia TD tuning I think, either that or just read through a few of the tuning threads that crop every now and again.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Mine gets 15 psi pulling very hard up a BIG hill (1.9TD KKK turbo, bosch pump)
Stewart
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ken.waters1/306_tuning.htm is the link you're on about, reffro...I keep it as a favourite!
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

The kkk does not have an 'external wastegate' - it just has the adjustment for the wastegate spring built into the housing rather then the usual rod style adjustment as found on all the garrett models, it does make the wastegate actuator look bigger though.
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

I've got an old pressure meter I want to install to my Xantia 1.9TD. I've bought 2 meters of reinforced clear tube to join from the engine bay to the cabin but where should the tube go through the firewall? Anyone have done this before? The tube is about 1cm in diameter. Which is the best place to thread it through to the cabin?