My Cat Stinks!!!!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DJGarry
My Cars:

My Cat Stinks!!!!!!!

Post by DJGarry »

A common problem for many feline owners I would expect, but my Xantia V6 cat stinks REALLY bad when I accelerate reasonably hard. At least I have been told it's the cat, but is this normal? It's a sort of eggy fart sort of smell (No it's not me or the kids!! I do suspect the missus sometimes but she denies it vigerously).[:p][:p][:p][:p][:p]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Change it for a diesel. At least you would get a different sort of smell. But seriously - lots of petrol cats make the same smell, especially before they are up to normal temperature.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Tends to happen mainly with new cats - smell decreases after a while...
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Now I understand what Lisa Kudrow was singing about in Friends - never had her down as a closet petrol-head, though......
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

"Smelly Cat, Smelly Cat, What are they feeding you?"
Shell Optimax at a guess...lol!
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Seriously,....
If it still smells after 5-10 miles of A-road driving (not town driving - it sometimes doesn't get hot enough), it's had it. New cat time (ouch!)
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

The exhaust on my 1.4i has always smelt eggy. I've had it for nearly seven years now, and the cat is still OK. Shell Optimax actually seems to help (better than Morrissons cheap'n'nasty) but it doesn't eliminate the smell completely.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

My son has a BX that stinks like a polecat too.
I wish I could remember or find out what it was, but we had "cats" forced on us very early in the piece a long time before most of the rest of the world and as a result, we had more early problems to cope with. I remember that the first of the Skylines had an inherant problem with it; they were absolutely pewtrid and eventually were all recalled due to passengers in them getting physically ill from the smell & I have a feeling that whilst in some cases they replaced the cat with limited success, in others it was something else in the system and the lambda sensor keeps coming into my head for some reason.
A reason was given at the time but that was about 20 years ago. I may just e-mail Nissan & ask the question and if they still have any records (they've been in & out of Oz a couple of times since) I'll post what they say.
I agree that the brand of fuel does effect the type & intensity of the smell; a bit like baked beans against cabbage actually [:0][;)]
Alan S