Xantia rear suspension slow to raise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

petefa
My Cars:

Xantia rear suspension slow to raise

Post by petefa »

Hi!
I have a 1999 1.9TD Xantia. I have had the rear spheres replaced as the back suspension went rock solid, this caused me to have fits of laughter as my missus was bouncing in her seat and banging her head on the roof!, lol [:D] [}:)]
This was about a year ago, and now the rear seems to take ages to get to any level, except the lowest.
By reving the engine, it gets to the normal ride height a lot quicker. My first thought was the pump, but as the front gets to the normal ride height almost instantly, that seems to rule the pump out.
I have checked the ride height linkage and there is no stiffness or sticking.
Any ideas?? [?]
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

Had a similar problem on my XM. After advice from the forum I checked the rear height corrector and gave it a good clean up and squirt with WD40. Carefully pull back the rubber seal and squirt this as well. Make sure the seal is seated properly afterwards. Check to see if the height selector rod-end clamp (square shaped) is not loose as this pushes against the height corrector via a convoluted metal rod. Also make sure the plastic pushrod (black plastic, one end disapears into rubber dust shield and the other attached to rod via link) is intact.
Hope this helps
Doc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Pete,
As usual, bit more info required…
What spec is your car – does it have hydractive suspension (sport button next to handbrake)?
When you say ‘takes a long time to raise’, assume you mean in the morning? If you look at the car after it’s been parked a while, does it seem to be comparatively down at the rear? If you put it in high with the engine running, and already at ‘normal’ height, how does it behave?
I have a few ideas, but some more diagnostics will help to focus the thoughts!
petefa
My Cars:

Post by petefa »

Thanks for the replies.
RichardW
No sports button, the long time for the rear to rise is at any time, the rear is always low after parking for any amount of time. The only way to raise the back, is to rev the engine quite high.
If the engine is at "tick over" the back will not rise for about 2 minutes and then very slowly. I will try your ideas too, Doc, thanks.[:)]