Strange interior light problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Strange interior light problem

Post by ScottFromNZ »

I have noticed lately that the car interior lights only come on sometimes when either of the front doors are open. Quite by accident today I found out that if I open a door and the interior lights are off and then open and close the glovebox (making its interior light go on then off) then the car's interior lights will go on. They will then go off again after the time delay and the cycle can be repeated by opening then closing the glovebox. Weird eh!! Any bright ideas?
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

I have since found that the same thing happens if I just thump the dash lightly above the glovebox instead of closing the glove box door.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Are all the switches in really good condition? I'd try new door and glovebox switches first - they are cheap enough from GSF.
jeremy
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Definitely sounds like a sticking door switch to me!
Ron
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Both my interior lights stopped working. I put up without them for a long time. Eventually, I spent some time on them. It took nothing more than a few minutes to clean the bulb terminals.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Now a very wierd one...The BX interior lights behave properly if the back doors are opened, but not the fronts (no light), yet all 4 doors show up on the "Doors Open" graphic on the dash. Any ideas?
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Phil - The "Doors open" graphic is triggered by a switch on the lock, while the interior lights are triggered by switches mounted in the front of the a-pillar and b-pillar. Which doesn't however explain a TZi with fancy alarm system fitted where all the interior lights trigger correctly from all 4 doors, but the rear-door symbols don't show up on the doors-open graphic.
I suspect a little bit of intervention when the alarm was fitted.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

New switch (or cleanup) time - cheers DLM!!
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

Eventually got around to fixing the interior lights. I dropped the glovebox down and discovered a multipin plug had come out. Plugged it back in and refitted glovebox - fixed.
Cured the rattle from the glovebox area too which must have been the plug rattling.