New member - ZX Volcane TDI front end Question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PJLarge
My Cars:

New member - ZX Volcane TDI front end Question

Post by PJLarge »

Hello all, I just stumbled on this site by chance. Lots of useful information here.
After about 3 months of searching, I finally picked up a ZX Volcane TD with 90k on the clock, full history and all old MOT's. I'm going to be using it for the 110 mile round trip daily grind.
The car runs really well, it's so quiet! Most un-diesel like. I have a question relating to the handling...
You're driving down the road, say 30 mph accelerating and change gear. As you come off the power, the front end 'tucks in' or pulls slightly to the left. I dont think it's anything major as it drives in a straight line and you can slam on the anchors at speed and it stops in a straight line too. Is it track rod ends or sway bars or similar? Is it a common problem and how much will I be looking at to fix? The car's worth spending on and I'd like to get it done. There is a small clunk coming from somewhere too, drivers side although I cant work out if it's front or rear. Only apparent through towns, silent on the m/way. I've checked the obvious, all tyres are new-ish and all have the right pressure. Nothing feels loose although I havent had it on the ramps yet. I'm still getting over the trauma of glow-plug changing on Saturday [:(!]
I'd appreciate any advice any of you folks can pass on,
Thanks
Phil.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hi Phil,
Sounds like the bushes in one or other of the front wishbones to me. Probably accounts for both the wandering and the noise. Cheap to buy but challenging to change!
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Phil,
Richard could well be right (he often is) but....
20yrs ago with a FWD car of any make doing this nine times out of ten it would be a badly worn track rod end. Given this is easy/cheap to change I'd check first.
As a matter of interest I had a Pug 206 in recently that had exactly this fault, it was not old enough for an MOT and with about 40K recorded. Yet it had a wickedly worn n/s track rod end. New joint sorted it.
Once you've checked that and the main bushes Richard mentions next point to look for a "small" clunk is an anti-roll bar drop link joint.
Good luck with the ZX anyway, I guess you'll be here a fair bit!
David
PJLarge
My Cars:

Post by PJLarge »

Thanks for the advice so far folks, I'll take a look over the weekend.
With regards to the ZX, I've been after one for ages to commute in. In a moment of weakness I bought a Cavalier GSI because I couldnt find anything else - what a mistake! I'll never own another Vauxhall as long as I live. Luckily I sold it for what I paid.
I'm hoping the ZX is going to drastically cut my fuel bills - initial results look promising. I've not owned a derv before, I'm an out and out petrol head. I own a 250 BHP MX-5 turbo that I did the turbo conversion on myself but these oil burners are completely different. I'm learning quickly though ;-)
I'm going to hook a boost gauge up tonight to see what boost she's making. Me being me it won't be enough so I'll be no doubt turning the boost up soon. One other Q, a K reg Volcane - is that the Bosch diesel pump?
Thanks again,
Phil.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Check the fast idle cable running from the thermostat housing to the injection pump. If it runs to the back it's a Bosch, to the front it's a Lucas.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I'd think a K reg ZX would have the Lucas pump but I'm not sure...
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

My L reg (93) TD Avantage has a Bocsh pump. Easy to look at. Lucas pump quite straight forward in it's lay out while the Bosch pump looks more complicated and it also has an electric solenoid switch on the top left hand corner or there abouts. As for the glow plugs, don't be put off by any horror stories. Start at number 1 and keep going untill your putting the tools away. Did mine and if number 3 hadn't been rounded off would of only taken a couple of hours. Also make sure you fit Beru plugs not any old cr*p.
PJLarge
My Cars:

Post by PJLarge »

OK, I checked - it's a Bosch pump. Does that make my life easier if I want to turn up the wick a little? Is the Bosch seen as the better unit?
Phil.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

It seems so...Check out http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ken.waters1/306_tuning.htm
Whilst it's on a 306, the same applies...