battery drain

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

meexi
My Cars:

battery drain

Post by meexi »

Hi,
I have a 1999 Xantia with an intermitant battery drain problem it has only happened twice the first time i replaced the battery but then it happened again today i cannot find anything that would drain the battery that quick.
Any ideas?
Meexi
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

I seem to have the same problem . . . on a brand new heavy-duty battery.
Have tried monitoring battery drain with an ammeter, but drain has always measured 3omA or 370mA, neither large enough to explain the loss of charge that can happen overnight (sometimes).
The problem still exists on my Xantia too, and I was favouring the theory of an intermittent leak internal to the battery until I saw your post.
AthlonZX
My Cars:

Post by AthlonZX »

I have had a similar problem with my Dad's Citroen BX 16 Valve. The drain started off small, and then it reached the stage where a two different batteries latested no longer than a week. We eventually identified a faulty battery backup for his car alarm as the source of the drain. Hope this helps [:)]
Cheers
David (Athlon ZX)
Citroen ZX Aura TD K-1993 127,019 miles [:)]
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

If mine has an intruder alarm, it's news to me.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

First of all ensure the battery is charged correctly by the alternator.
Measure the voltage directly over the battery poles (not the clamps).
With engine running at idle, you should have at least 13.5V - increasing to just past 14V with a bit higher engine rev's.
If not - the alternator and/or wiring has a problem.
A standard car battery, assumed to hold half of max charge would have approx 30AmpHrs of stored energy.
If a drain of 370mA (0.37A) is measured, the battery will go flat within approx 80Hrs, or approx 3 days if left parked.
First suspective points to check on battery drains are always the boot lamp and the glovebox lamp. Any alarm fitted would only drain a few mAmps, if not faulty of course.
The Xantia has a tilt operated bootlight switch hidden within the boot door.
The BX has a sluggish LH located plastic switch operated manually by the closed bootdoor.
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I have had a similar problem with my Dad's Citroen BX 16 Valve. The drain started off small, and then it reached the stage where a two different batteries latested no longer than a week. We eventually identified a faulty battery backup for his car alarm as the source of the drain. Hope this helps <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
funny you should mention this as the first time it happened the alarm was making a chirping sound so could be connected.
where is the battery back up hidden?
Meexi