Citroen ZX...how long left after 130k?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AthlonZX
My Cars:

Citroen ZX...how long left after 130k?

Post by AthlonZX »

Hi everyone
I'd successfully clocked 4,000 miles on my zx without a single problem (I was getting worried!), well just as it hit 127,000 it decided it had been well behaved for too long [B)]. First I noticed that one of my brake disks had quickly become disorted on the driver's side this week (lots of heavy juddering under braking at 70mph). Then the rear curtosy light fell out of the roof lining [:0]hanging from it's cables in my rear vison lol. I'd also noticed the engine had become allot corser in the cabin of late (first and second year are difficult to engauge under acceleration...and it grinds in reverse every time). Finally this morning (and about 100 yards before what would have been a very tricky hill start), my clutch clip snapped.
My question is, do all ZXs fall to bits after 130k? Looking through the papers, and web I see lots listed with "blown engine at 130k". I know my car's engine feels allot less refined that my friend's 306XT TD, so I'm wondering if I should do all this work
or just do the minum and get a newer one.
I love way the ZX rides and handles, but do wonder if I'd be better off getting one with less 'on the clock'. My main issue with the zx is I've always wanted one with ABS, as I'm doing allot of motorway miles at the moment, but they seem very difficult to come by. I've been looking at Xantia's (lots more of these with ABS) but my dad reckons that I'd become a Hydronuematic Hypochondriac. I'm test driving one on Tuesday, but can anyone tell beforehand me how they compair for a) reliability and b) driveability. One way or another...I plan to keep driving a Citroen [:D]
Many Thanks
AthlonZX (David Carroll)
Citroen ZX Aura TD K-1993 127,019 miles [8D]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

My ZX has 164k miles and runs sweetly, I think its a matter of fixing the small faults as they present and not getting a backlog, the engines are good for half a million miles with proper care. I also have owned and driven Hydro cars for many years but for an easy life the zx is hard to beat.
Stewart
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Athlon, I have not driven a ZX but I do have the impression that generally they are nice car. As for the Xantia, I have owned a pre faclift estate 1.9td since new and apart from the standard servicing, clutch clip, new cable, timing/auxiliary belts and spheres all seems to have been quiet and refined. I did have the misfortune to get one with faulty front door hinges but I cured that without welding. It is now 120k and five years old and due another timing belt. It does a lot of heavy towing, at and above limit[}:)] and the clutch has held out this far.
I think the later facelift ones with ABS are just as reliable but the early HDI and higher spec ones have had a chequered start before they became highly reliable and regarded.
I really must get into a ZX and do some serious comparisons.
Regards, Robin
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Must agree, 147k on my ZX TD. Just fix the small problems as they come along. Any thing bigger than the car is worth then bin it for scrap or trade in on a new motor. You should find that any older motor with 100k plus is the same. Bits like rubber gaiters, switches, dash bulbs all become tired and wear out. Most people who buy these new cars (18 old mths)which have done high milage "but only on the motor way" (as the adds say) forget that the milage means the same things / wear have happened as a car thats 10 years old but only a lot quicker if you see what I mean.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Any thing bigger than the car is worth then bin it for scrap or trade in on a new motor<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hmmmm.... sorry, Stuart, cannot agree with that. Anything bigger than the cost of <b>replacing</b> the car, surely? Makes better financial sense to me
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

What with harsh gear changes and brocken clutch clip it looks as though you may need your clutch replacing?
Vibration caused the light to fall out, it prob wasnt pushed fully home..
There are lots of ZX's around that have done far more miles than yours and continue to give good service. Do you service it properly? change the oil-filters etc etc? Have you ever replaced the coolant? or the brake fluid? You should have checked when you bought it when it was last serviced, and if you were not sure, you should have done the lot including fitting a new cam belt just make sure everything was ok.. [:)]
If you get one with abs you will prob find the car is also fitted with an ecu [:(!] so dont be too keen to swop the one you have. lol..
AthlonZX
My Cars:

Post by AthlonZX »

Thankyou everyone for you feed back [:)]
In response to your question James, I have had all the items you mentioned there done (oil changed every 6000 miles), belt done when I bought the car a year and a half ago etc. I even treat it to a car wax every other weekend[:)]. I've put about 20,000 miles on it since I bought it...and for the most part it's been great. But if I keep it I'm going to replace all the engine mounts. I think the gear selection problem may be related to the engine leaning back in the bay, each time I change gear! If you lift off while accelerating in 3rd gear, you can feel the engine rock backward and forward in the engine bay. In any event, just started looking for a late plate Volcane TD, with abs...anyone near Derby got one for sale lol...wish me luck [:)]
Cheers
David
Citroen ZX Aura TD K-1993 127,019 miles [8D]
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

There's always the "when do I jump ship" problem. I had a Pug 205d and decided to get rid when it hit 200k miles. It's still going strong aroud 2 years later! The ZX that I bought to replace it (78K on clock) has cost me quite a bit to get it to the point where I'm fairly happy that that which needs doing has been done. I don't think I'll get rid of this car until it fails the repair cost / replacement cost test above!!
Ron
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Sorry mate (uhn113x) what I meant was if the cars only worth say £500 but you get a repair for say £450, chop it in on another old car. I know it's rare these days but for the past 3 cars I've owned I've just done straight swaps with the dealer. All have about 7 months mot and the car they've been getting has had and expensive fix. An example would be a nice looking Rover 600 horrible drive and a completly rotten rear off side rear panel into the wheel arch and floor plan. Chopped it on my ZX TD, a few niggles as per this site but on the whole a better car. Now the dealer knew about the rot but reckoned he could get it sorted at trade price but he couldn't shift the ZX with a heavy oil leak. £20 and a new oil filler, leak fixed and stopped.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi Stuart
Nae bawther [;)] I must admit that in ,any decades of motoring, no repair has cost me £450 [:(]
However, if you swap your car, you are starting again - you will not buy a car that needs no money at all spending on it, and the newer you go, the more built-in obsolescence there is
Good luck
Mike