Overhaul BX Steering Ram

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

G4EIY
My Cars:

Overhaul BX Steering Ram

Post by G4EIY »

Hi All,
Has anyone carried out this task.
I have a spare that was leaking from the shaft oil seal.
I can't see how to remove the collar holding the seal, it just rotates, not threaded, any tips ?...
Is this seal readily available ?...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

According to the BX partslist, the ram cylinder is a sealed unit. Only the leak-off boot is available as spare, apart from mounting bits and fittings.
You may try if your badly leaking spare cylinder disassembles w/o damage. Similar seals withstanding mineral oils would be suitable (LHM is mineral oil based).
Note that the ram cylinder is double-acting, working under very high pressure against the end seal to retract the piston rod.
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Thanks Anders,
It looks as if the collar is pressed onto the cylinder, and if removed by grinding atc, would not be replacable.....shame.
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

If it were necessary to grind material off to release the front gland from the power steering cylinder, your local industrial hydraulic workshop would give you an opinion and price on machining a new front gland from bronze or cast iron, and cutting a thread onto the body so that the new gland screw-mounts. When I worked in industrial hydraulics, we had a trickle of people coming in with oddball cylinders looking for sealkits and stuff, and we had lathes and fitters who could make spares parts.