ZX subframe mounts & stuff

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

ZX subframe mounts & stuff

Post by uhn113x »

Hi folks
Just preparing to replace these on Friday. From Jon's/Dave's write up I assume the rear nuts are visible once I have lifted the boot carpet, but where are the front ones?
If you tip the rear seat cushions up, there are a couple of Torx bolts visible, and a plastic membrane covering everything else - are they under this? Or are they the Torx thingies?
Have just fitted a new elastic to the parcel shelf cords - I was tired of having to stuff them inside the car every timne I colosed the tailgate.
Fitted new tacho sender - tacho now works. Will open up the old one to see exactly where it is giong o/c when warm.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hiya Mike, where did you get the elastic for the cords from? if you improvised any chance you will tell me how you did it please? Both my ZX and the one my mate owns have this knackered elastic problem.
Hmmm I once knew a young lady with a similar problem [:0] [8)] [:o)] [:I] lol...
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I tried to improvise with mine...not very successful.
The genuine part is just £22 from your local, friendly Citroen dealer [:)]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Thanks Sl4yer, I will order one asap. :-) (I'm keeping stumb about abortive improvisations) :-) lol..
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

god, the number of ZX's you see with the cord hanging out the boot each side! Mine does it... very annoying!
DomF9
My Cars:

Post by DomF9 »

I looped mine back onto itself and tied it together under the parcel shelf rear edge, just to keep it out of the way.
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Hiya Mike, where did you get the elastic for the cords from? if you improvised any chance you will tell me how you did it please? Both my ZX and the one my mate owns have this knackered elastic problem.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi James
Local haberdashery shop - it looks like white string. Flat 'knicker elastic' [;)]does not stretch enough.
Unhook cords from tailgate, dig out plastic sleeves from parcel shelf tube - they then will split in half and come off cord. Measure length of tube, less twice length of sleeve.
Attach elastic to end of one cord after cutting off old remains. I ties it on, and then bound with thread, and a drop of cellulose to stick it.
Lay cords on table top, with measured distance between plastic stop blobs. Stretch elastic fully, and measure where it reaches end of cord. Cut and attach to cord, put back in car.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Hmmm I once knew a young lady with a similar problem lol...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Phone number, James? [}:)]
Now, does anyone know the answer to my original question? [:)]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hiya Mike, according to my "Haynes" ZX Diesel 1991 to 1998 manual, you have to remove the lower side panels in the boot, then take the carpet out and the front subframe retaining bolts are under there somewhere? It does go on about shifting all the brake cables and stuff pertaining to the brakes so I assume you better be carefull in case you damage your brake pipes lowering the subframe??.. I hope that helps a bit..
I had the rear seat out of my ZX for several hours when I changed it and had to mess with the fixings to get the pesky thing to slide properly (still not got it quite right) acess to the fuel level gauge is under there, and the seat belt fixings, but I dont remember seeing any sub frame fixings. [V]
Have a nice day.. [:D]
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Mike,
I think you guys are looking too far forward on the car under the seats. If you look underneath the car with a torch (don't even need to jack it up) by laying just in front of the back wheels. You can see the mounts on the front of the subframe and it is easy to take two rough measurements to locate the fixings from inside. You'll find they are more under the boot carpet/seat back than the seat base....under two black plastic caps in the floor.
How you get to them and how much carpet you lift is a personal choice. It can be done without disturbing much at all once you know where you are going.
David
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi David
Thanks very much for that - I just like to dot all i's and cross t's before starting anything I have not done before - the ZX is a new beastie to me - if it were a BX/DS/GSA/A-series/3-train clock I would be answering instead of asking!!
I'll lift the seat backs out - one needs attention to the safety belt parking thingy, anyhow.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Theres no need to remove the plastic side trims in the boot, with the back seat(s) slid forward you can carefully pull up the boot carpet, the actual access holes for the subframe mount nuts are protected by round black plastic bungs which you prise out, once out its in with a deep socket and extension. Don't forget to support the rear beam before undoing the nuts!!
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Thanks for that, Jon - I'll be doing the job tomorrow, so will report success (hopefully) when done [;)]