Renewed rear spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

big_lorry
My Cars:

Renewed rear spheres

Post by big_lorry »

Working from the instructions posted by Jon I renewed my rear sphere's and what a difference, no more bouncy bouncy.
The only thing to watch out for is a small rubber gasket, I did not fit them properly first time and LHM was leaking everywhere.
Make sure they are flush in the recess of the cylinder that the sphere screws into.
For a removal tool I used the idea of a screwed rod bent around a sphere through a bar and tightened and it worked a treat, didnt need to touch the pipe to the cylinder.
Small issue now is when I start up the suspention drops and after 20seconds or so starts to rise again, It's a VSX and hydractive (has sports suspension button) so I dont think it should drop, does this mean accumulator spere is faulty?
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Mine sometimes has a little drop every time I open a door or the boot (with the engine off - 2 clicks coming from the rear of the car), and a larger drop just after I start..I think this is related to the Anti-Sink more than the hydractive, as my last LX TD did the same.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Be sure to do the Citaerobics before suspecting anything else.
The rearsink is not caused by the Hydractive sytem, it's the anti-sink that does this. You're right that the main accumulator (on engine block) can do this - if it's weak - when first starting the car.
But then you should also have frequent ticking from the pressure regulator - the unit on engine block the main accumulatr screws on to.
The frequent ticking would appear constant - independent of engine (and then pump) rpm's - after system initially has stabilised.
A ticking interval lower (i.e. faster) than approx 30 seconds points to a weak main sphere, whereas rapid ticking indicates a failed main sphere.
The anti-sink system would have it's own rear middle located sphere for the rear brakes. This sphere is recognised by having a single standard 3.5mm rigid pipe connected.
This could need replacement too, sometimes being the cause of a dropping rear on start, if it's weak. It would only cause a minute drop if it's flat.
It would NOT be the cause of frequent ticking though !
big_lorry
My Cars:

Post by big_lorry »

Thanks Guys
Done some citaerobics but will do more as it was a bit jumpy (droping in lurches).
I did notice 2 other speres at the rear (4 in total) one of which must be the anti-sink sphere.
I'll check out the ticking frequency etc.
Cheers