ZX Volcane, been and looked.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stuart McB
My Cars:

ZX Volcane, been and looked.

Post by Stuart McB »

Just been and had a look at a Citroen ZX Volcane 2.0ltr i petrol. Not my first choice in colour (white) but had a look any way. On the fore court for £800, 12 moths MOT no tax, 5 oweners, 1994 L reg. It had 110K on the clock and had been owned by some boy racer as the exhust was big enough to put your head in and the rear parcel shelf had massive speaker holes cut in it. Took it for a spin and compared to my ZX TD it flew. I didn't go with the deal offered as my Avantage is worth more than £500 against this Volcane. I noticed that the clutch was almost at the floor and the oil temp guage didn't move at all, not off the bottom. Also the oil pressure guage was about half way up the guage (about 3 or 4 PSI I think its PSI) There was couple of other things wrong like drivers window was not working at all and the rear fitted speakers were mising but on the hole a decent enough motor. Now I've made my mind up and it is deffenatley a Volcane 3 door next time can any one give me a few pointer what to watch out for on the petrol model. I'm up to speed on the diesel engine owning the TD Avantage. [:D][:D]
ZXdanslamaison

Post by ZXdanslamaison »

Thats the car I have so I can offer you my experiences:
Oil temp gauge - mine doesn't move off the bottom at all around town. It takes 20 minutes at 80 mph to see it move.
Oil pressure - mine seem to sit at 4psi, so that sounds about right.
£800 sounds a little steep if you ask me though- if you go private then you'd be looking at nearer half that price (everyones after the diesels!)
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

It's a french car, so it's Bar, not Psi on the oil gauge...Austin Seven's used to run at 6psi!
1 bar = 15psi(ish), to 4bar=60psi - sounds about right (according to BOL, anway). My BX GTi sits at around 6bar cruising, dropping to 4bar hot idle, but that's the old lump.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Yeah I know what you meen about the price. Been on the Auto trader webb site and have seen a nice looking 3 door in silver same sort of thing but with less milage and owners (phoned) for only £650 and he'll do me a straight swap or at least close to my price. Only down side is it's 114 miles or so away. I'm not really in that much of a hurry. Sixty miles in my travel distance limit. Thanks for the info on the oil presure gauages etc. Any info on what to look for on the engine and running gear?
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Why not meet half way - at least you'll know if it overheats, drops its oil or water, and if the heater works!
If it's OK and you want to buy it, follow him home to make sure he's a genuine seller and verify where he lives of course.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Ah!! you have developed ESP. That was my next phone call to the dealer. I'm going on the "bring it to me and if we can't do a deal I'll pay your petrol money" (no more than £10). I think that sounds fare. Have run it past the wife and she seems to think it's a good idea. She's a solicitor so is naturally suspicious of any thing I do. This also helps as she can get the HPI and any other checks done realy cheap through her work. Have tryed the dealer this morning a couple of times but no answer will try again on Monday. let you know how I get on.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Ah well can't blame me for trying. Have spoken to the dealer (to night). He's sold the car. Just as well as I got the milage wrong it was 141 miles not 114. I did ask if he would of travel and he did say he would of met me half way. Any how I've put 6 months tax on the car so it looks like it's stopping for at least another couple of months but I'll keep on looking for a tasty Volcane 3 door not white.
NickB
My Cars:

Post by NickB »

Youll find the older 1.9 petrol Volcane is even quicker(205GTI engine)plus will handle better as its lighter at the front-only available as 5 door though.Also loads of engine and g'boxes available on 205 websites.
Nick.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Cheers mate. I know what you mean about the 1.9 but it is only avalible in 5 door and as sure as the pope is catholic sporty cars look better with only 2 or 3 doors.
No offence to the pope intended.