Easy way of changing TD cambelt!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ohms69

Easy way of changing TD cambelt!!!

Post by ohms69 »

I sold the red BX today, and must say I am a little sad to see it go. I got my full asking price of 600 pounds which I am pleased with and also gained a 1989 BX 19RD estate with 4 months tax.
the chap who bought the new car gave me his old one, as simply he was going to scrap it. It hasn't been cleaned in over 5 years and as you can probably well imagine is in a bit of a state.
I think I may keep it for parts, possibly dismantling it and rebuilding parts that will be useful to the grey one.
On the other hand I may scrap it...What do you think?
Anyway, back to the original topic title. The chap who bought the car was telling me about a gypsy who once tried to sell him a BX. He asked if the cambelt had been dome recently and the gypsy replied "yes, and it's a piece of cake". Having done 2 TD cambelts now, I know only too well what a pig of a job this actually is.
The cahp went on to tell me the method the gypsy used for cahnging cambelts.... Take cam covers off, get a very sharp stanley blade, cut in the centre of the cambelt, crank the engine right over to cut the cambelt in half. Take the bottom pulley off, slide one half of the old cambelt off, and slide the new cambelt back on. With the new cambelt on, cut the other remaining half off, and slide the new one right over. Bottom pulley back on, and jobs a good 'un!
This sounds like madness, but also totally feasable. I admit you would have to have some pretty big bollocks to take a stanley blade to your cambelt whilst cranking it, but could it be done???[:)]
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ohms69</i>

I sold the red BX today, and must say I am a little sad to see it go. I got my full asking price of 600 pounds which I am pleased with and also gained a 1989 BX 19RD estate with 4 months tax.
The chap who bought the new car gave me his old one, as simply he was going to scrap it. It hasn't been cleaned in over 5 years and as you can probably well imagine is in a bit of a state.
I think I may keep it for parts, possibly dismantling it and rebuilding parts that will be useful to the grey one.
On the other hand I may scrap it...What do you think?
Anyway, back to the original topic title. The chap who bought the car was telling me about a gypsy who once tried to sell him a BX. He asked if the cambelt had been changed recently and the gypsy replied "yes, and it's a piece of cake". Having done 2 TD cambelts myself, I know only too well what a pig of a job this actually is.
The chap went on to tell me the method the gypsy used for changing cambelts.... Take cam covers off, get a very sharp stanley blade, cut in the centre of the cambelt, crank the engine right over to cut the cambelt in half. Take the bottom pulley off, slide one half of the old cambelt off, and slide the new cambelt back on. With the new cambelt on, cut the other remaining half off, and slide the new one right over. Bottom pulley back on, and jobs a good 'un!
This sounds like madness, but also totally feasable. I admit you would have to have some pretty big bollocks to take a stanley blade to your cambelt whilst cranking it, but could it be done???[:)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Now that there are fewer good BXs around, the prices must be on the way up. I've heard of this method for cambelt changing by cutting the belt into two. Could even have read it on this forum. I think I would prefer to turn the engine by hand rather than by cranking. Also, surely the tensioner would need retracting?
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

This method of cambelt changing was recommended in 'Car Mechanics' magazine a while ago, I think the editor had tried it on a Volvo engine.
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

It's been on the autotrader since Wednesday and since then I've only had 3 calls. Each of the people who called have all owned BX's previously...Only those in the know dare stand at the door of BX'dom!!
I might try this method of cambelt change, If the cambelt won't go over the tensioner then it's back to square one I suppose!![:)]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It's the good old race track approach, replacing a cam belt very fast in the pit, cutting with a running engine.
Known at least in one instance to have caused surgery removing a stanley knife deep in the forehead from a DIY mechanic [}:)].
Be my guest, who wanna try it [:D][:D]
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Ohms Trust me gypo's (Pykeys,tatters etc)do have big bollocks
I they f"%ked up the car they have only got to nick another for bits