citroen xsara instrument cluster

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jas16

citroen xsara instrument cluster

Post by jas16 »

basically a couple of weeks ago my xsara would not start and the lights on the dash were staying on even when the ignition was off. The garage told me it was the instrument cluster which needed replacing and was going to cost £500+ to supply and fit. They also told me this was a known problem with citroens and said it was worth arguing your case with citroen uk to get some form of compensation. However they denyed this and refused to give any money towards it unless there was any warranty which there wasn't.
I was wondering if anyone else has had any similar problems or if they aswell have heard that this is a known problem with citroens?. My car is only 3 and a half years old and only done 20000 miles, which is why i feel so agrieved with the outcome. Thanks!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Never heard it should be a problem with Citroens ?
- but perhaps with the later Xsara models ?
Jas - what have you done to solve the problem - did you in fact had the instrument cluster replaced ?
jas16

Post by jas16 »

currently waiting for the part from citroen, so far it has been 2 and a half weeks!!!!
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

Never heard it should be a problem with Citroens ?
- but perhaps with the later Xsara models ?
Jas - what have you done to solve the problem - did you in fact had the instrument cluster replaced ?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Jas -
For some odd reason I have the feeling it's not your instrument cluster at fault. Can't explain exactly why - and I may be terribly wrong [:I]
The reason is that your ignition switch may be the problem - or the wiring to this switch. But I may be wrong on this.
At £500+ expense I certainly expect the garage to solve the problems.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Anders opined:
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I certainly expect the garage to solve the problems.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Anders, you are an eternal optimist! [:D][:D]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Yes. I seem to think the same. Having owned a Xzara I know the dash lights shouldn't be on. Is the key a little stiff in the ignition switch / starter?. Have a look inside the steering cowling covers to see if all is alright before handing over £500 cash. If all fails try using the "sale of goods act" basically any body who sells a service/ product is bound by the goods being of a mercantable quality and being "right & proper" for the job. In a nut shell as the Cit dealer has admitted there's a "KNOWN" problem then Citroen have by way of vertue sold a service / product that is not up to the job. It's a long shot but give it a go. Try the main Citroen UK web site though for a more possitive result.
CBR600FV
My Cars:

Post by CBR600FV »

Hi, I'm a new member and have just noticed your problem. This happened to my Zsara Hdi last year, turned out to be the earth cable from the battery neg to the engine block. Dodgy earth makes the dash lights and engine bay relays seek an earth via other ways. You will get dash lights remaining on even with the key withdrawn. New lead was £15*vat. Pig to change though. To test put a jump lead from battery neg to the block.
Cheers.[:)]
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

What year xsara is it? Petrol / Diesel? Is it mulitplexed?
I
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

What year xsara is it? Petrol / Diesel? Is it mulitplexed?
In my experience, if its just out of warrenty the citroen dealer can put forward a concessional claim and you may get a bit toward the job if the mighty judge at citroen gives it his most sympatic consideration otherwise not much hope.
Good luck.