ZX Sunroof leak?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

ZX Sunroof leak?

Post by uhn113x »

Hi all
Just noticed a damp patch in the OSR footwell, after a torrential downpour the other day when car was parked. Now, if it was a BX, I would have dived on to the sunroof drains.
So:
<ul>
<li>Is is likely to be the sunroof drains?</li>
<li>If so, how do you access them?</li>
<li>If not, anything else it could be?</li>
</ul>
Thanks in anticipation [:)]
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

Hi
Have you cleaned and lubed the sunroof rubber seals and runners? A light smear of vaseline or propietry rubber trim lube keeps the sunroof water tight. Any build up of dirt or grime can cause water to divert to places it shouldn't and often quite some distance from the source. Assuming the drains that run from the sunroof down inside the A,B or C pillar hasn't been disturbed i.e major bodywork repairs, then they may be blocked up with a build up of road dirt. If it's anything like most cars with sunroofs, the drains run through these pillars and exit under the car just behind the front and rear wheels OR flow into the drain that takes care of water collecting in the scuttle/bulkhead area. Make sure any underbonnet trim is intact and not flapping about. (Haynes manual does not mention drain location) Check to see if any accumulated dirt or underseal has blocked the drain exits.
Another place to check is the roof mounted ariel. This can leak around the mount and allow water to enter interior via top roof rail and trim. My XM did this and was solved after I dismantled fixing and sealed base and fixing bolt with silicone sealant.
Hope this helps
Doc
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi Doc
Thanks for that. No, nothing has been disturbed, AFAIK, or at least no accident damage. Only had car a couple of weeks, so dunno about sunroof being lubed, but will check that this weekend. Was wondering if it was anything like the BX drains, that end inside the A-post and in front of the rear lights, but do not actually reach floor level.
Anyone else had this problem?
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hiya Mike, my ZX leaked onto the floor by the brake pedal, I fixed it by spraying along the windscreen rubber with silicone spray whilst running my thumbnail along to praise the rubber back a little. Not leak since. :-)