diesel pump for 1.9D zx

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

monkey

diesel pump for 1.9D zx

Post by monkey »

I have a 1994 1.9 diesel ZX that smokes like a bitch on start up.
I have been told it is the diesel pump and I know there is a Bosch and a lucas variety.
Can anyone tell me if they are interchangable and how I can tell what I have?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

On a Bosch pump the cold start cable goes to the back, on a Lucas the front. Yes, they're interchangeable, but you'll also need to swap over the injectors and pipes as they are different.
However, it seems unlikely that the pump is at fault - glow plugs, valve clearances, pump timing (actually checked with a dial gauge rather than just the bolts through the front sprocket), injectors, air leaks are all things to check before condemning the pump. Pumps have proved very reliable over the years, but Lucas types are more likely to go west after 150k miles - almost no one has managed to wear out a Bosch pump (300k mile design life I think).
Gives us a bit more info on mileage, diagnostics undertaken etc?
monkey

Post by monkey »

160,000 miles, lucas type I think, will check.
Don't know on the diagnostics, I've never delt with diesel or french before.
The car has other problems however, the head was cooked at some point and the head skimmed was skimmed and gasket replaced. It struggles to start (glow plugs 12 months/ 6000 miles old) and it's still losing coolant by pressurising the water jacket and blowing it out of the expansion tank cap (maybe elsewhere but I can see no evidence) Cracked head possibly?
monkey

Post by monkey »

[quote]<i>Originally posted by monkey</i>

160,000 miles, lucas type I think, will check.
it's a bosch pump, throttle at the front, cold start at the back.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

No point in dicking with the injection pump yet if there are head / gasket issues (as it seems there are). At 160k, and given the cheap prices of ZXs it hardly seems worth taking the head off - especially as t sounds like it might need a new one anyway....
I just bought a bit-rough-round-the-edges ZX TD for £450 - about the price of a new head!