Cylinder Head Gasket, gone!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

freestyle
My Cars:

Cylinder Head Gasket, gone!

Post by freestyle »

After just getting a new radiator fitted, not to mention new sub frame mounts and thus
cursing my Citroen upside down as I was shocked, these items failing with 40K mileage, I have just been informed, (which is self evident by patch on my drive) that my cylinder head gasket has gone! Surely a car with 40k on it and not driven harshly should not have this problem ?! Could the change of radiator been the cause? Pls, Pls if anyone can offer any help here or comments
John Lightbody
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

What car and how old is it? My pet theory about radiators, heater matrices and head gaskets is that they fail after a time interval, not a mileage. Particularly if you haven't kept on top of coolant changes to keep corrosion inhibitor in the system!
Simon '97 ZX TD
Join the Citroen Car Club!
freestyle
My Cars:

Post by freestyle »

Simon, tks for reply. Radiator was recently changed, prior to this had to top up occasionally nothing serious, coolant level checked, weeks before a service and was okay.
Could the radiator change have brought this on?? Engine block was clean prior to new radiator........
John Lightbody
freestyle
My Cars:

Post by freestyle »

Oop nearly forgot! Car is 1996 with 41,000
bought with 13k on it and carefully driven.
And serviced when due......
P.S clutch is also slipping slightly.....
John Lightbody
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Can you be sure that your mileage was a genuine 13000 when you got the vehicle. You seem to have all the symptoms of a neglected cooling system, usually showing at a much higher mileage than 40000. Sorry to be a 'wet blanket'