Looked at a car! Good deal?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jools

Post by jools »

I have done some more looking and have found a 1998 s reg, td LX, with 80k for £2700, I am going to see it today and offer a bit less, but it looks a good car, also I think that it is one of the newer shells capable of towing 1500 kg's
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Jools,
That's getting a little nearer the mark. If it is 110% in all respects with a cast iron Citroen history and 1 or 2 owners then try for something under £2500. If you had more time you'd find something like this for £2000 but I understand that isn't always the case.
Do go into this with your eyes open and understand that, if you did pay £2700, and further needed to change it within a month or two, a dealer would only offer you about £1700 as a trade-in.
Good luck anyway.
David
jools

Post by jools »

I am looking at a car that I can keep for at least 3 years, so I am hoping this will be ok for me, especially if it is the stronger shell, and it is ok. I was going to try and get the price below 2500, as I have the cash waiting and do not have a PX.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Jools,
That's fine then, spreading the depreciation out over three years means it is less frightening! In a few months I will have had my 1993 Xantia for 4yrs. I happily paid £2400 back then when the normal dealer price was £3000. It is now worth well under £1000, many might say less than £500 on a bad day. But so what, it still "does the job" as well as any £5K car so I'm happy to run it for a good while yet.
You'll have to buy this one soon so we can get onto the next stage which is some "why does it do this" queries!
David
jools

Post by jools »

Thanks for all the help guys. Just got back from seeing the car. It looks fine, it is in resonable nick and everything works, nearly done 90k but had a full service history. The spheres have just been replaced, as too has the cam belt at 75k.
And now a few questions:
How do you replace the radio, it is a double din one and I need to listen to my CD's, so that will be the first change.
Do not know about the alarm, as it sets with the central locking, does this mean the alarm is set and will go off if I leave my dog in the boot and the rear window down slightly.
One major question is in the log book it says it will tow 1200kg's, but as long as the GTV weight is not exceeded then it will up to tow 1500, I take from this I could tow 1300kg's and with a relativly unladen car, but problems will arrise if I try and fully load the car I can tow less?
I offered him 2400, and we came to 2600 and three mts mecanical cover (for wht it is worth).
This was the first xantia I have driven but the third I have looked at, very impressed with the power and driving feel, I would have not believed I was driving a diesel. Just got to decide if I want it.
Many thanks for the help and for any additional advice you will give me
Jools
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Jools,
Working through your queries...
90K is a little over average for year but not an issue as far as the car goes, just a bargaining point.
The LX radio is usually a little weak. Easy to remove it and, with a facia adaptor available anywhere, put in whatever you fancy.
Unless you disable the interior protection yes the alarm will go off with a dog inside.
You won't have any problems actually towing 1500kg, just be aware of the legal/insurance side of things...quite a grey area. My impression isn't that the later bodyshells were any stronger, just that they looked at the figures and decided to approve a higher tow figure.
Ah a trader! Why would he need to even talk about a mechanical warranty for three months? You have a greater protection than this in law!!! It winds me up when traders try this on and then when you have a claim point out that X or Y isn't covered in the small print. You are fully covered by the Sale of Goods Act anyway.
Yes a decent TD Xantia should seem nice and smooth to drive.
The more I think about the price though.....thing is not everyone has the time, patience and determination to get into the price ranges folks (inc myself) mention on here. I don't like to be to rude about a high price because that may end up being what you pay. However looking at it again this car is well over top retail and privately would be under £2000...trade value will amaze you, perhaps under £1000 at auction!
I gave an example in my first post of a friend who bought a 1998T Xantia TD Dimension with a genuine 28K and full history from Citroen with a 12mth Citroen Used Warranty for only a few hundred pounds more than you mention. That price was actually £2800 which was pretty good with the full backup of a years Citroen warranty and genuine tiny mileage.
David
jools

Post by jools »

Thanks for that. I will need to find out how to disable the interior protection then, should say in the hand book.
I can see exactly what you are saying about the price, but for me 2600 gives me a lot of car for the cash, compared to 2300 for the 95n reg car, this is a 1998 s reg with 15k more miles but a nicer car. Ahh decisions, decisions. I will go and have a nother look tommorrow and decide.
To be honest I am surprised you can pick up a s reg car that looks smart for 2600. I paid 2000 for my 1996 106 xs 12 mts ago, and 5000 for my xsi 4 years ago. Price seem to be falling. Just before Christmas I paid 1500 for my s2 106 rallye but that came with no service history and some slight front damage, but I guess that some cars are more desirable than others and people are not prepaired to take risks with cars