Turbo; how to replace?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lasjens

Turbo; how to replace?

Post by lasjens »

The turbo in my newly acquired Turbo diesel seems dead; max speed 120 kph, and often a runaway engine on start-up running on engine oil; probably leaking from the turbo.
I have gotten at KKK to replace the Garret in the car, but how do I get to it? Can it be done in-situ or is the quickest to take the engine out? Any hands-on experience appreciated.
Lars Jensen
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Which car?
Stewart
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

If its a ZX it can be done if you can get the car on a ramp or are prepared to lie on your back underneath.
Is a bit akward, as with everything on these cars but can be done.
lasjens

Post by lasjens »

Sorry, it is a BX from 88'.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Haynes alledges that it is possible, but on a car that is now 16 years old I very much doubt it! The fixings have such limited access on the BX, and are likely to resist attempts to undo them it will be difficult, if not impossible.
Pull the engine out, replace the turbo, replace the cambelt, change those awkward heater hoses down the back of the block, replace the clutch, replace the octopus. Consider taking the head off and replacing the head gasket. All of these jobs will be much much easier with the engine out, and should give the BX a good bit more life yet!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I agree with Richard, with a few jobs to do its better by far to pull the whole unit out where you have the luxury of access and go mad replacing awkward bits (Esp rubber pipes)
Stewart
lasjens

Post by lasjens »

Sounds pretty bad to me. I just changed the engine in my old 16V, which was a two day job for two of us..
So no easy shortcut...
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

As myself and timmsd found out with the Xantia, the air hoses are different shapes and connections between Garrett and KKK turbos.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

As are the oil feed pipes, make sure you get the one that comes with the new turbo (PS theres one on ebay, just run a search on citroen diesel)
Stewart