Whistling Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pw64k

Whistling Xantia

Post by pw64k »

Hi,
I Just had a new exhaust fitted to my Xantia 1.9 td and it has started whistling when I accelerate, it sounds a bit like a cop car siren, any ideas!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Could be the air duct (seals) from turbo to inlet manifold leaking. Likely to get disturbed by exhaust works.
It's normal to have faint turbo whine. Have you driven the car for longish with roaring dodgy (blown) exhaust ?
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

Hi pw64k
My 2.1 XM whistles like a jet engine due to slight leak in inlet manifold/turbo ducting. The car passes its emissions/MOT every year and returns between 38-44 mpg on a run so I ignore it. I have noticed people in the street look up to the sky when I drive past before realising it's my car. I have tried to replace the rigid plastic ducting at the side and rear of engine but Citroen have told me there's a long delivery time and still no guarantee it would turn up. Last summer I ordered an external trim part only to be told there was a 6 week wait. Well that was in June 2003 and I am still waiting...
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I have the same problem but am struggling to find my leak. I is hard to create enough pressure from the turbo to trace leak with the car stood still. I was going to use leak detector spray ( used for testing gas leaks etc ). I wonder if the inlet system can be pressurized to about 5-10 psi with an air line [:D][:D] so I can detect leak. Maybe remove pipe from air filter and block it, remove pipe from inlet manifold and block that while blowing 5-10psi regulated air down the pipe that feeds the fuel advance on the fuel pump. That should help finding the a leak in the pipework, intercooler and turbo itself. Has anyone tried??
Neil
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Neil -
Can't see why that idea won't work ?
The turbo exactly provides pressurised air - like an air line.
All you need is to limit the pressure for a sane value - then obviously blocking off the other connections.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I am hoping to try it when I find something to block the big hoses
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

There is a "fire gasket" which goes onto the joint between the turbo and the downpipe, if this is damaged or missing you end up with a leak and turbo whistle. This happened to my old Xantia mine did and when I replaced the gasket the whistle went away. The gasket sort of provides a ball shape on which the downpipe can pivot.