tick, tick, tick, tick, tick indicates what?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Thregwort
My Cars:

tick, tick, tick, tick, tick indicates what?

Post by Thregwort »

Random occurence of ticking noise from the lower right dash area -
clearly coming from same unit as the indicators, but not causing any lights to flash.
The indicators work as normal, as do the hazards.
Is this a symptom of the flasher unit coming to the end of its life?
If so, where is the little unit located and how do I get to it?
Last one I replaced (many, many years ago and not on Cit) was a
small aluminium cylinder not unlike a domestic florescent light starter unit.
Is that what I should be looking for?
Is it the sort of generic thing Halfords would sell?
Or what?
Bangtwister

Post by Bangtwister »

Sounds like indicator switch. Contacts inside switch going a bit dickee!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Would your Xantia be modified - having an extra PR under the dash ? [:p]
Naaahhh...
The (turn) indicators & hazards relay is located in your fusebox. It's a larger specie than the other relays (except wiper/timer) - but clearly reckoned by only having 3 socket pins.
There is a chance that your turn indicators (stalk) switch are faulty - allowing a smallish (shortcircuit) current flow to the indicator bulbs.
This can usually be tested by forcing a bit the stalk either direction - not putting on the indicators. If then the ticking stops - you know the stalk switch is the problem.
You may also try fiddle with the hazards lights switch - testing if this is fooling you.
Don't do it while driving though - as this may cause some rather frustrated reactions from your co-trafficants [B)]
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I have the same problem on my Xantia; seems to do it more often after indicating right rather than left. I just wiggle the stalk a little bit and it shuts up...or turn the stereo up a bit more!
ZEGA
My Cars:

Post by ZEGA »

ON my AX i have the same sound when i leave car alone, it ticks very fast and simetimes irregular and direction lihgts are off no light...
It is a error in swich inside lever (horn, lights, direction switch) behind the steerig wheel, when i move it very little, very very little is stops...
In local CIT dealer they found this problem usual and change the lever (here it cost 60GBP but i gues in UK it is 3x the price at local cit. service).
The man that change it says if it don't bother you dont change everything works fine with it clicking, so if you are able to disregard that clicking noise leave it (it saves money and MAYBE it will eventualy stop)...
ZEGA
Norrie.com

Post by Norrie.com »

I had the same problem with my 106. After much head scratching and puzzled investigations, I eventually solved the problem at no cost.
Remove the indicator switch from the steering column. Now, this next bit is not in the (pretty useless anyway) Haynes manual. Take the switch apart (can't remember how exactly) as it goes back together ok. look carefully at the gap between the contacts for the left and right indicators. I found that over time, wear had caused a build of metal particles to build up in the gap causing a short circuit usually on rough surfaces. Give the whole switch and the contacts a good clean. Reassemble and with any luck the tick tick tick etc should be gone. It certainly worked for me. Hope this helps.
Nor
Thregwort
My Cars:

Post by Thregwort »

Thanks Norrie,
That makes a lot of sense.
I'll give it a go when the weather picks up.
Thregwort