xantia heating

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mark_sp

xantia heating

Post by mark_sp »

The heater is misbehaving in my 1998 1.9TD. Only just started going wrong in the last couple of days. The lower settings 18 to 22 only produce cold air. Put it past 22 and you can hear the fan noise change noticably (deeper sound) and warm air appears. Put it on the highest setting and the air is uncomfortably hot so it looks like the problem is confined to the bottom half of the control. This is all manual control by the way, I dont usually use the auto setting so can't really say if thats working or not. Thought it may be an air lock so I bled the cooling system but there was no air released.
Mark
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Mark, try it on auto set at your comfortable temp. This will tell you if it is a heater control problem or not.
The temp sensor is on the dashboard behind the flashing alarm light and if this is in sunlight it can give you a false warm cabin signal and only give cold air. This is then overidden when you increase interior temp.
Generally the auto setting is quite good and gives you full heat until the cabin temp reaches the preset.
Good luck, Robin
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Tried the auto setting and recon its working as it should, although I've not really used it before. On the 18 degree auto setting a small amount of heat is output with low blower power. On 22 degrees I get more heat and faster blower. The blower gets faster from cold as the engine temp rises. On non auto setting I get no heat below 22 degrees (although I used to). All very puzzling but I've got bigger problems so for now it's the auto setting for me.
Mark