Xantia TD and towing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jools

Xantia TD and towing

Post by jools »

Hi, new on here and looking for a bit of advice.
I have a hill climbing car I am building (based on a peugeot s2 rallye) and need to start thinking about towing it to get work done on it as it will save me money. At the moment I am being charged between £50-100 move the car from having the cage fitted to home (20 miles), and the car needs to go to kent for more work (live in the south west).
I think I have found a trailer a single axle brian james weighing 330kg's, and my car weighs between 750-800 kg's So need to tow between 1080-1130 kg's (will be closer to 1080 when car complete)
The problem is I do not have a tow car, and am thinking about a citroen xantia td.
Any advice, wether it makes a good tow car, and what to look out for when buying. I have about £2000 to spend so hope I should get a resonable one for that?
Many thanks
Jools
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Jools - A turbo diesel Xantia would be ideal for your purposes. It has a kerb weight of 1350Kgs, and even towing at the recommended weight ratio of 85%, would still allow you a weight of 1150Kgs. Although I use a 2.1 estate version for pulling my 1100Kg caravan, the 1.9 would allow the use of 5th gear at maximum road speed. The hydraulic suspension is an added bonus. When towing, expect fuel consumption to drop to around 30mpg. Recent posts on this site will give you help on what to look out for when buying.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Jools,
I've towed for some 20yrs now, currently using my 1993 Xantia TD to move a horse twice a week. Lightish trailer and one horse taking it right up to the max towing weight.
I would say the Xantia TD is about the best medium hatch/saloon for towing. Of course it may be bettered in some respects by a very powerful rear wheel drive and four wheel drives if money is no object.
But a combination of its stability, self levelling and engine torque range makes it hard to beat in its class.
And when you're not towing you're driving a car with good ride comfort, space and impressive economy. That isn't always going to be the case if you move one step up to a more dedicated towing vehicle.
David
jools

Post by jools »

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Good to know you are towing a similar weight.
I am needing a good alrounder and think that the xantia may be the car for me. I need a driving car first and a towing car second. What is the fuel economy like when not towing?
I currently drive a 106 (well drove until some one wrote it off at the begining of the month), but need a hatch for my dog, and plenty of space for kayaking kit. Plus I am 6'5" and need a bigger car anyway!
Many thanks
Jools
Kered

Post by Kered »

Please be aware that there is a towing limit other than a percentage of the kerb weight.
On the mark one Xantia it is 1200Kg. I was towing 1215Kg and thought it prudent to change to the facelift which can now handle 1500Kg.
These figures are issued by Citroen (in handbook) and refer to the strength of the car at, presumably, tow bar mounting points. These figures are nothing to do with the kerb weight ratios and indeed it would be dangerous to tow 1500KG as it would be a greater weight than the car.
If, perish the thought, one was involved in an accident and the insurance assessor found you were towing over 1200Kg, it would give them room to wriggle out of paying and you may also be in trouble with the law.
Having said all that, I cheerfully towed 1215Kg all over France an Holland with no trouble!
Fuel consuption when towing is around 28 - 30 but then I don't hang about and often floored it in 3rd.
Hope this helps someone
Derek
jools

Post by jools »

Looking at the weight I will be towing the xantia will do it because the desired weight of my load and trailer will be 1080 kg's, (if I can strip my race car more I will be, then the weight will be less).
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Without the trailer on the hook, most turbo Zantias should average around 40 to 43mpg. An HDI will do nearer 50mpg.
jools

Post by jools »

thats good to know.