Xantia newbie help needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Swilki
My Cars:

Xantia newbie help needed

Post by Swilki »

I have just bought a cheap Xantia TD, it does not feel quite right over bumps, one side of the car seems harder than the other. When you hit a speed hump head on it feels like you're going at it an angle, if you know what I mean. I've taken a look at the spheres but I don't see any leaks, the LHM level is just above the max on the gauge, and the suspension will go up and down, slowly but surely.
I did try searching previous suspension posts but theres quite a lot to look through....
Also if anyone has seen a dark metallic grey (don't know what the colour is called) Xantia in their local scrappy could they give me a shout.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The suspension spheres won't go bad by visual leaks [;)]
- the problem is their gas precharge slowly disperses into the hydraulics oil side and then vents out at reservoir.
To check for a bad ("flat") sphere - then simply jerk down each corner of car - engine idle and normal height selected.
It should feels soft on each corner - indicating the spheres still have adequate gas precharge left to provide softness.
By using your own bodyweight - it should be possible to press down each end of car. Opening the boot and simply sit and rest there - should immediately cause the rear to gently sink some 5" - then some 30 seconds later automatically adjust back the height again - compensating the load of your body.
On front it will sink a bit less - since the suspension already carries the rather heavy drivepack.
If the suspension seems hard/stiff during these tests - the corresponding wheel suspension spheres are "flat".
You always replace both wheel's speres on an axle - like you do shockers, brakes etc.
When testing the LHM level - it's important that the height control lever is set for max height - and then with engine idle allow the suspension to settle in maximum. Now the float at reservoir should be within the 2 red rings on the bulb.
Overfilling causes mess on your driveway - as the reservoir will overflow when car sinks.
Try the Citaerobics procedure - then testdrive the car.