Limp Handbrake !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

puddle jumper
My Cars:

Limp Handbrake !

Post by puddle jumper »

Does anyone know if you can replace the wire spring in the outer end of the automatic Handbrake adjuster of a Xantia whilst the caliper is still on the car ? - If it is posible to compress the spring washers and remove the Handbrake arm do I have to de-pressurise the system first ?.(I have a good handbrake adjuster mechanism on a u/s caliper.) Thanks in advance [:D]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Guess it would be fiddly in-situ - because of the odd access.
Besides that it's likely that dirt would contaminate the innards.
Basically the caliper is the same construction as the BX species, which I've overhauled a few times.
The handbrake lever arm connects to the handbrake actuator rod by a steel piece with a drop like profile - which mates on a cut-out on the lever arm. This makes removal of the lever arm a challenge - since the steel piece is under heavy pressure from the springy dish washers.
So basically the whole job relies on compressing the dish washers in a sensible way - using whatever tools you have access to.
Once reaching this stage - the wire spring is not a problem to remove/replace.
You may try if the steel piece will dislodge when lever arm is fully retracted - then the lever arm is only kept in place by a circlip - and possible dirt/rust.
puddle jumper
My Cars:

Post by puddle jumper »

Thank you Anders. the old unit I have came from my old BX and I thought it looked the same. - I thought I may be able to turn a suitable compression tool on the lathe. I can try it on the old unit before I tackle the unit on the car. It was just the pressure thing that concerned me.[:)]