Will this work

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

louis1
My Cars:

Will this work

Post by louis1 »

I have a zx TD with f&%ked engine, the only things worth having is the fuel pump and turbo, So could i put a normal 1.9 (non turbo) in their and put my turbo on? or would a 1.7 turbo deisel be ok? or is there any mordern diesel's that will fit without to much hassle e.g HDI,2.1 TD,etc.
Thanks Louis
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Turbo's are stronger than non-turbo's and presumably the alterations weren't done for fun. - there are numerous alterations - larger oil pump, different pistons, stronger head etc.
your ZX will have a vacuum pump either on or driven from the camshaft. I don't know if the fixings are the same as the hydraulic pump pulley on a 1.7TD but this will have to be provided for. 1.9 TD as fixed to Xantia generally uses a pump driven from the alternator drive and not the camshaft.
Can't you get a proper 1.9TD?
jeremy
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

you can get around the vac pump problem by using a belt driven unit from an old 309/205/405
Stewart
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

I think I'm right in saying, that the compression ratios are higher in a non turbo compared to a turboed unit. Therefore if you fit a turbo unit to a non turbo unit it will probaly blow its top or something along those lines. Then you'll have another 'f&%ked' engine to replace?? Either leave it as a non turbo or get a proper turbo unit.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Louis. John in York had a 1.7.TD for sale last week that would fit a ZX? (phone 01904 651900) Dunno if he still has it though.. Its worth a call? :-) John and his two sons run a small repair/scrappy place and deal %90 in Citroens.
They sold me my Volcane interior for £50, fitted it for another £50, (the job took almost 4 hours and involved him and his son a lot of the time) and found/fitted me a nice black leather volcane steering wheel as a free bonus. [:D] [:D] I would recomend them to anyone. [:)] [:)]